Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
mauruz
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New Sod Turning Yellow

Post by mauruz » November 3rd, 2020, 1:28 pm

Hi,
I just put some new sod on October 23rd and some of the Sod is turning light green to yellow, so I'm concerned I'm either under watering or over watering, some of the sod when I try to lift it up is getting hard, but other parts are really easy to pull up, this is the 2nd week since I put the sod, the first week I was watering it a 4 am for 20 minutes and then at 3 pm for another 20 minutes, this week (2nd week) I started watering only in the mornings at 4 am for 25 minutes with inground sprinklers.

I'm attaching some pictures of how the sod that I was able to pull looks like, and how the sod currently looks from above, please let me know if I need to start skipping days on the watering or if I need to put again 2 watering's per day.

In another place I read about a recommendation to put 7-0-0 greeen effect fertilizer and it will help, since it seems I have rotten roots?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: New Sod Turning Yellow

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 1:59 pm

I think I answered this over on...the other place...but it does look like overwatering, and resource washing out from the soil. Now that I see it's southern grass, it's also the fact that the season is ending and the grass is not being added at the best of times.

Definitely cut back to daily watering, keeping the sod damp, like a moist sponge, not squishy wet. Not dry, not wet, not soaked, not squishy. Damp. You can feed it with a gentle fertilizer, like Milorganite (5-2-0) or that 7-0-0 (which I'm guessing is pretty gentle) to help restore it as well.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: New Sod Turning Yellow

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » November 5th, 2020, 2:00 am

I did also reply over there. I see you're in San Antonio. Did you get your sod at Milberger's Nursery?