A couple of questions

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Gretta
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

A couple of questions

Post by Gretta » March 14th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Hi all! Happy Spring! Sorry if you're getting snowed on right now I don't mean to be sarcastic. 😊
I'm 1 year out from sodding Tifway 419 and am looking for advise about:

1. How closely I have to scalp. I mowed and bagged a ton at lowest setting and still have many long and sideways growing spots. The ground is also pretty uneven. I knew I was moving too long last year and planned on addressing it with a good scalping this year.. I just underestimated how hard that might be. Do I risk raking it more aggressively with a gravel rake? Do I invest in a reel mower? Rent one? Can I even use a reel on this lawn before I level? Use the trimmer? It IS only 600 sf. Or can I just call it good and try to keep it at 1-2 inches and hope it will grow "up" better?

2. Application and frequency rates for Starter fertilizer (for phosphorous) If what I'm reading is right (under 90 Degrees) I have a very small window to be using this in Phoenix. I'm super paranoid about using anything but milo around here as I have a fert burn episode in my past.
It's Scott's 24-25-4. bag rate 3lb per 1k.

3. The timing for FAS. I know I can't apply if over 85 so how soon can I do it?

Below is what has come before.

Plan as per soil test and Andy advice:
Zinc boron app every 60 days
Starter Fert (for phosphorous)
Milo

6/14/2020--zinc 1 ½ TBS and 20 mule 1 ½ TBS on 7 lbs of milo
6/21 Milo
6/28 Corn Meal 6lbs~10lbs/K
7/24--milo
REEECCOORD HEAT--watering every 2-3 days
8/23--6/14/2020--zinc 1 ½ TBS and 20 mule 1 ½ TBS on 7 lbs of milo (pro care)
9/8 --Milo

3/6/2021 tried to scalp

Thanks for any and all advice!
Christi

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: A couple of questions

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 14th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Help me out a little. I'm kinda new at this...
1. How closely I have to scalp.
It depends on why you are scalping. What are you trying to do?
2. Application and frequency rates for Starter fertilizer
Are you trying to tune up something Andy told you last year? If 90 degrees is the limit, you do have a time table. It might not happen this year.
3. The timing for FAS.
I'm not up on all the lingo you used. What is FAS?
My understanding is that corn meal is hard to find in Phoenix. You might try DuMOR 16% Poultry Crumbles from Tractor Supply instead. They are a nice crumble texture that goes through a spreader much better than typical organic fertilizers. Cost should be around $15 for 50 pounds. If you want something with higher protein content, try Sportsman's Choice Floating Pond and Catfish Fish Food for 32% protein.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 14th, 2021, 7:06 pm

What is FAS?
FAS is Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate, and it is a foliar-fed Iron solution, most often used in high-pH situations where granular Iron won't work because it will change to an unavailable state too quickly. Read articles and FAQ's about it for more information.
try Sportsman's Choice Floating Pond and Catfish Fish Food for 32% protein.
It's not exact nor a perfect translation, but dividing the protein content by 7 will give you a rough effective comparison with chemically-created Nitrogen numbers (the N in NPK).

Gretta

Post by Gretta » March 14th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Hi there! Mostly I'm scalping because the Bermuda Bible said to but also I'm hoping to have more of it to look like this 1st picture instead of the 2nd with all of the runners.
The starter fertilizer is for phosphorous and yes, advice from last year but it was already a gazillion degrees by then so I've been waiting. It's kind of funny that you popped on about the corn meal because it was your posts I saw about some yellowing it might help with and since I'm in need of OM too it was a no brainer. I have to be careful about smell and organics so I don't dump a ton so it's fairly cheap.
The FAS I may or may not get to as I'm concerned about staining and I can be very sloppy.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 28th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Scalping the runners off is a great idea. You can take it to the ground if you like (with a rented mower). Bermuda will still come back from rhizomes.

Gretta

Post by Gretta » March 29th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 6:40 pm
Scalping the runners off is a great idea. You can take it to the ground if you like (with a rented mower). Bermuda will still come back from rhizomes.
Thank you. I quickly realized the post should have been "how do I fix this!"