This newbie needs help!

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
djchavez0921
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

This newbie needs help!

Post by djchavez0921 » March 25th, 2021, 8:10 pm

We recently had a pool installed, and when the pool builder replaced the sod, it turned out that the Bermuda they put down is different from the original grass put in by our home builder. From the little bit of research I’ve done, I believe what the builder originally put in is hybrid Bermuda, and what the pool builder put in is common Bermuda. So now I basically have a front yard that’s half and half. Is there any way to get the whole yard back to the original hybrid type, without having to take the common out and re-sod with hybrid? Any help is appreciated.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: This newbie needs help!

Post by andy10917 » March 25th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Yes, but it will take time. You can take sprigs or plugs from the "good stuff" and try to plant them evenly apart (after you've killed the junk which isn't easy), and baby it as it starts to spread.

djchavez0921

Post by djchavez0921 » March 25th, 2021, 10:53 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 25th, 2021, 8:28 pm
Yes, but it will take time. You can take sprigs or plugs from the "good stuff" and try to plant them evenly apart (after you've killed the junk which isn't easy), and baby it as it starts to spread.
Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying the hybrid sprigs or plugs will slowly / eventually overtake the common, or I need to kill off the common first?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 26th, 2021, 8:07 am

Oh, you'll certainly have to kill the common stuff, and it may not be just one application of RoundUp to accomplish that.

djchavez0921

Post by djchavez0921 » March 26th, 2021, 1:50 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 26th, 2021, 8:07 am
Oh, you'll certainly have to kill the common stuff, and it may not be just one application of RoundUp to accomplish that.
10-4. Thanks for the advice!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 28th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Agree. The hybrid will not take over the common. They will forever mingle and appear to be 100% common unless you kill it all. Don't assume you killed it with one application of Round Up.

Why do you think the pool builder used common bermuda. I would expect the two to have different colors. The dead give away is that common bermuda will develop seed heads about 4-5 days after mowing. Hybrid will not get seed heads for weeks after mowing.

djchavez0921

Post by djchavez0921 » March 30th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 6:45 pm
Agree. The hybrid will not take over the common. They will forever mingle and appear to be 100% common unless you kill it all. Don't assume you killed it with one application of Round Up.

Why do you think the pool builder used common bermuda. I would expect the two to have different colors. The dead give away is that common bermuda will develop seed heads about 4-5 days after mowing. Hybrid will not get seed heads for weeks after mowing.
I have no idea! But there’s definitely a difference in both color and texture. Looks like I’m going to be killing some grass off to get this yard evened out! Thanks!

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 30th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Sorry for the confusion on my question. I see why you answered like that. Here it is reworded. What makes you think there are two different grasses? Color and texture might be different between mature sod and transplanted sod. The real tell is the seed heads.

If you don't have those flowers on the bermuda, then I'd wait to do anything.

djchavez0921

Post by djchavez0921 » March 31st, 2021, 2:06 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
March 30th, 2021, 8:03 pm
Sorry for the confusion on my question. I see why you answered like that. Here it is reworded. What makes you think there are two different grasses? Color and texture might be different between mature sod and transplanted sod. The real tell is the seed heads.

If you don't have those flowers on the bermuda, then I'd wait to do anything.
Ahh, I see what you were asking, now. I’m just going by how the grass looks and what I could find online to compare. The original grass is a darker green and sticks low to the ground; doesn’t really grow up, if you will. The stuff the pool builder put in, is a little lighter green and the blades go straight up. I haven’t really noticed the flowers you mentioned on either one of the grasses, come to think of it? Should they be there now? I’ll look it over again when I get home tonight.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 2nd, 2021, 2:09 am

If the grass is growing and it has been a week since mowing, common bermuda should be covered in seed heads/flowers. If you don't have that, then I would tend to let the new grass mature. Actually you might go ask the pool builder what grass he used.