New member in SC with Centipede

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
reerun25
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

New member in SC with Centipede

Post by reerun25 » April 15th, 2021, 8:38 am

First post, found this forum a few days ago and have been reading up. I live in the lower part of SC with a centipede lawn. I have neglected the lawn for several years other than cutting the grass. I am looking to improve the health and look of my lawn. I have an irrigation system and just got back my soil samples. I had sent them off to a different lab before I saw the Logan Lab recommended on here. I have broadcast some moss killer last weekend as well a ran a plug aerator over the lawn. I have some moss (which I am working on killing) and bare spots. As far as the soil sample results, I was reading up on the application of lime on the forums and wanted some advice on what the soil sample lab is suggesting. The results show I am in sufficient range (target range) for Mg, but they suggest applying 44 lbs/1000 SqFt of dolomitic lime. Dolomitic lime has Mg in it correct? If I apply dolomitic (I have read on here not to put 44 lbs per 1000 Sq Ft) I would think that would make the Mg go to high or excessive. I will post the soil sample results. Any advice is welcomed, and thanks in advance.

reerun25

Re: New member in SC with Centipede

Post by reerun25 » April 15th, 2021, 8:41 am

Below are a few pics of the current shape of the lawn

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 15th, 2021, 8:49 am

We cannot interpret the results of every soil lab in North America, and we limit interpretations and (free) plans to results provided by Logan Labs. Test suites vary dramatically.

We can, however, provide general discussion of what your lab test test is trying to tell you. Centipede grass has very different likings from other grasses.

reerun25

Post by reerun25 » April 15th, 2021, 8:56 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 8:49 am
We cannot interpret the results of every soil lab in North America, and we limit interpretations and (free) plans to results provided by Logan Labs. Test suites vary dramatically.

We can, however, provide general discussion of what your lab test test is trying to tell you. Centipede grass has very different likings from other grasses.
I understand about Logan Labs, as I mentioned in my post. I plan to send another sample to them and post here. I have seen a lot of great information and helpful people on here, so I just thought I would post the results I had already got from a different lab and limit the question to dolomitic and increasing the Mg. I was not expecting a plan, just trying to see if my thinking was correct that dolomitic would increase the Mg.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » April 15th, 2021, 5:44 pm

I definitely would wait until we get to see the LL tests before even considering the application of dolomitic lime down. If the Clemson tests used are comparable to LL tests, then I have no idea why they would recommend dolomitic. The "perfect ratio" of Calcium to Magnesium is about 8.5 to 1, with "OK" being between 6:1 and 10:1. You're at 3.5 to 1 and dolomitic would lower the ratio even more. At numbers below 4:1, it is not unusual to see the soil be "tight" and "hard to work".

vinceisvince
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Level: Some Experience

Post by vinceisvince » April 30th, 2021, 11:51 am

i’m in columbia sc! lucky to have centipede imo it loves terrible soil. i’ve seen people use iron and stain their driveways so i’m not sure i’d do as they are saying. other than that i don’t really have a lot of knowledge either on the matter at hand but just saying hello. I have the worse soil ever- live in the sandhills , sand soil :)

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 14th, 2021, 12:44 pm

rerun, if you want the centipede to thrive, it needs acidic soil. Lime is going the wrong way. Logan Labs is great for fixing the soil, but in your case, you don't need it fixed. On the other hand, if you want to fix the soil, then you can go with something like bermuda or St Augustine, which like the extra alkalinity.