JaMur Zoysia broadleaf post emergent weed control plan

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Dino
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

JaMur Zoysia broadleaf post emergent weed control plan

Post by Dino » May 9th, 2021, 9:09 pm

I am in Georgia north of Atlanta and had 5,000 sq ft of JaMur Zoysia installed 2 years ago and while it has established itself pretty well it quite a number of different weeds have found their way in as well. Given the slower growth rate of Zoysia it is not uncommon for the weeds to stand out between mowing.

I intend to go to battle with some post emergent herbicides but would welcome advice from this community. I have purchased and have in hand both Blindside WDG and Celsius WG. I have never used either but intend to give them a try. My initial thoughts were to blanket spray the whole lawn with one and then weeks later go back with the other as a one-two punch. I plan on mixing them at the low end of the recommended range of concentration for warm season grasses and also plan to use Southern Ag Surfactant Non-Ionic and Turf Mark Blue Spray Indicator Dye.

This will be my first time even spraying any post emergent herbicide on my lawn. My intention is to use a 2 gallon sprayer but load and mix 1000 Sq ft worth in 1 gallon of water and do 1000 sq ft at a time so I will be in for 5 tanks worth, I feel I can control things better this way. I would greatly appreciate opinions and advice on how I would take this on. Namely, application rate, which one you would suggest I apply first, how many days should I wait between applications; do I need to water them in two or three days after application, any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time, experience and feedback!
-Dino :wave:

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: JaMur Zoysia broadleaf post emergent weed control plan

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 14th, 2021, 12:48 pm

If you don't have a blanket of weeds, then I would not use a blanket approach to weeding. I would spot spray the individual weeds. With the marker dye you can see where you've been, so it should go fast and easy. As for timing, I would go back 4 weeks and do it in mid April, but here we are. Otherwise follow the instructions on the bottle.

sjones1011
Grass Type: centipede & zoysia
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by sjones1011 » May 31st, 2021, 4:43 am

I have Jamur zoysia also and have used both. Note that the sulfentozone in Blindside is much harsher on the grass as to tip burn. Unless you have sedges that you are trying to cover with one product, you'll probably find that Celsius provides a better experience with much less short-term turf damage.

Dino
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Dino » May 31st, 2021, 9:39 am

sjones1011 wrote:
May 31st, 2021, 4:43 am
I have Jamur zoysia also and have used both. Note that the sulfentozone in Blindside is much harsher on the grass as to tip burn. Unless you have sedges that you are trying to cover with one product, you'll probably find that Celsius provides a better experience with much less short-term turf damage.
Thanks for the reply. I sprayed the blindside just before your post. I did it at the min rate so hopefully it won’t beat up the Jamur too much. I intend to follow up the treatment in 14 to 21 days with Celsius. How long after treatments should I wait before watering the lawn?

Also anyone have any opinion on how long I should wait before watering with RGS or humic?

Your replies are appreciated.

Joe