Idea for patching

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Idea for patching

Post by bpgreen » June 26th, 2021, 1:00 am

Somebody who has something to do with the water distribution system (I only know him through a Facebook group, so I don't know his exact role) told me that water levels are so low this year that they may run out much earlier than usual and many lawns will go from dormant to dead this fall. He told me that since I already don't water and have native grasses, my lawn may be the only one in the city that doesn't die.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » August 10th, 2021, 3:48 am

The plugs arrived on a Thursday when rain was predicted for Friday. I scrambled to get them in the ground and didn't get pictures.

We did get some rain, but not enough. So it's possible that I used grey water and maybe walked around with a hose to water plugs that I didn't hit with grey water. I probably didn't do that, since it would be a violation of a city ordinance. But maybe I did it and I don't remember.

Due to the way I planted the plugs, it was easy to miss some of the plugs when I may or may not have been watering with the hose. So some have died.

Interestingly, one buffalo grass plug has already created another plant from a stolon.

If I were watering, I'd now cut back to watering MWF.

The real test will be next summer. It's one thing to be alive now. It's another thing to survive tube winter and be alive next year.

My monthly water bill (includes garbage pickup) is about $72.

I don't exceed the minimum, so I pay nothing for irrigation. The flat rate irrigation is $185 for the summer.

So if I want to water at all, I need to pay to get the secondary water to my lot ($1000-$1500). Then pay $185/ year (my guess is that this will increase).

So I'm hoping I'll be able to have a "lawn" that doesn't need watering.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 10th, 2021, 6:59 pm

So in short, you didn't water the plugs due to a bad memory. Got it. :-)

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » August 14th, 2021, 1:57 am

I've noticed that several of the buffalo grass plugs have already started sending out stolons and some of those have taken root.

I spread some blue grama seed last winter just before the first big snow, hoping there would be some soil moisture when it was warm enough for germination. No such luck.

However, I've noticed some germination near plugs that I've been able to water.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » August 23rd, 2021, 1:19 am

I checked on the price of blue grama seed from my usual supplier and was told it would be over $20/lb this year.

But another seed supplier had it at $19.50. When I've bought from them in the past, any purchase included a 15% off next purchase.

So I bought some flower seed bags for $3 (including shipping) to test my theory. I got a coupon and then ordered 10 lbs, which should last me several years.

I've also got several varieties of crested wheatgrass and some western wheatgrass that I'll dormant seed.

It occurs to me that I may be paying more for seed than I'd pay for water,

But I'm stubborn and that's now beside the point. I'm not going to pay the hookup fee. I'm not going to pay for water.

I'm going to have a lawn that doesn't require watering.

We've had some rain recently. The buffalo grass its sending stolons out like crazy.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 7th, 2021, 9:14 pm

bpgreen wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 11:55 pm
I'm not surprised the grounds didn't dry out in the microwave. I *am* a little surprised you didn't figure it out faster. If you've ever reheated a slice of pizza in therre microwave, you know that it gets soggier, not drier.

I never tried to dry then out but if I spread them too thickly, they definitely dried out and crusted over, and then repelled water. I'm not sure how that would work in this use case.
Yes, the water repellation is caused by a fungus. Golf courses complain about it all the time. Spraying with a surfactant works for them.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 7th, 2021, 9:19 pm

I have a beautiful mat of wild buffalo outside my fence next to the road. I mow at the mower's lowest setting to discourage weeds, but the buff LOVES it. Turns out I am allergic to buffalo grass, but as long as I'm not rolling around in it, I'm good.

The Universities of California at Davis and Riverside worked to develop what they call UC Verde buffalo grass. It has all the benefits of nice grass and no seed heads at all. All it needs is full sunlight. It spreads fairly quickly and becomes dense enough to keep weeds out.

Here's a poor picture...

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » September 8th, 2021, 12:04 am

I could be mistaken, but I think ak of the plugged and sodded varieties of buffalo grass are seedless.

I planted legacy, which is supposed to be the best choice for this area. And the blue grama is hachita (I've been advised that hachita and alma are my best choices).

I'm allergic to just about any pollen, but from what I've read, I should be good with plugged varieties.