Why isn't my winter grass dying off in Phoenix AZ?

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
damatster03
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Why isn't my winter grass dying off in Phoenix AZ?

Post by damatster03 » June 4th, 2021, 11:17 am

-Bought Home in December of 2020 with a luscious green winter lawn (not sure what kind but I'm assuming rye)
At-Beginning of May I cut back watering to kill off the winter grass and let Bermuda come back to life
-2 weeks later the grass all seemed dead with some Bermuda starting to emerge so I aerated and fertilized
-The back yard is currently doing well with the Bermuda growth but the front yard has been taken back over by the winter lawn (and doing very well in a lot of parts) which I don't know how is possible since its been over 90 degrees for several months and over 100 degrees for a few weeks
-What do you recommend I do to get the winter grass to go away so Bermuda can come back?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Why isn't my winter grass dying off in Phoenix AZ?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 12th, 2021, 8:46 pm

I think I can help, but would you mind answer another couple of questions? I have a friend in Gilbert. We've been chatting about his lawn for 10 years probably. He has bermuda in the front and St Augustine in back.

What was your watering schedule before you cut it back? How often and for how long were you watering?

What is your watering schedule now?

When did you fertilize last? How many times this year have you fertilized?

Why do you think you have bare spots?

These questions have less to do with the issue you asked about than about other things I see in your lawn. Your lawn should look like a deep green, dense blanket of turf, and I see dandelions and yellowing.

As for herbicide, I think you missed the window before it got too hot. The herbicide I would suggest cannot be used at temps higher than 85 F if I'm not mistaken. Then again, you do have bermuda, so what could go wrong? I would suggest waiting until next March or so to deal with the weeds. I'm not even going to tell you what I would suggest, because if you use it, it could really hurt something. You would have to promise not to use it until early next year. Seriously. It's a nasty chemical to begin with.