Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
jhamilton88
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New home

Post by jhamilton88 » August 2nd, 2021, 1:48 pm

Hello,

New to this forum and I was hoping to find some more experienced people to give me some advise. I'm about a week and a half from moving into a new home that's on 2 acres, and the home builder is putting down roughly 15000 sqft of Bermuda sod which will cover around the house. I have been looking into buying some Bermuda seed to start the lawn everywhere else next spring. I looked into Yukon, but the price of the seed would be pretty high so I thought about getting blackjack instead. Really looking for a Bermuda that could handle having 4 dogs running around and does well at a cutting height of 1.5 inches, as that is the lowest my zero turn mower goes. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: New home

Post by MorpheusPA » August 2nd, 2021, 3:24 pm

I can't help you with seed, but others can and they'll be along. The first thing they'll tell you is that spring isn't quite the right time to try seed--it's planted when the weather is hot, so late spring, really.

What I can say is that your new sod will need to be watered in. At first, that's daily. Keep it damp--damp, not wet, soaked, sodden, squishy, running off, or anything else, just damp--until it seals down. Call it two weeks or so, but check. Usually that means about ten minutes of water per day, but it does vary by soil type, weather, and the sod itself. Observe the grass. If it's browning, it needs more water. If it's green, it's fine.

Then back off to watering every other day for a week or two to let the roots go deeper. Observe the grass. If it's browning, it needs more water. If it's green, it's fine.

Then every third day for a week or two. The time spent watering in each section should now be rising in many areas as you're watering much more rarely. Observe the grass. If it's browning, it needs more water. If it's green, it's fine. If the soil is still wet in some areas on day 3, you can cut back the time on the water in those areas. This is where you start to figure out the timing on your lawn for each zone or area.

Then every fourth day. And so on, until you reach about once a week, which is normal watering for a lawn. You may not reach that your first season, and that's fine.

Days with rainfall count, and lawns need about an inch of water per week most of the time. It does vary; very hot weeks will need a lot more. Cool weeks, far less. When dormant, nothing at all.

And that's how to bring in sod.

Your sod will want to be fed after about a month. Use about a pound of nitrogen per month, synthetic or organic, whatever you prefer, during the growing season. The first month? I'd probably use an organic as sod has short and limited roots. After that, though, it's your choice.

jhamilton88

Post by jhamilton88 » August 4th, 2021, 9:01 am

Thanks for the info. I have had good luck with sod at my previous home, but never had any luck with seed. I would do sod for the new house, but 2 acres a sod is just too expensive.

voljack
Grass Type: volunteer zoysia
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by voljack » August 5th, 2021, 3:39 pm

I would want to try match the other Bermuda if possible.
would plugs be an option?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 6th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Yes, but it will require some time and patience

Keith E Cantrell

Post by Keith E Cantrell » August 10th, 2021, 6:52 am

Yes. That's a fact.