Anyone know whats going on here??

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
jefffike1
Grass Type: St augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Anyone know whats going on here??

Post by jefffike1 » September 6th, 2021, 4:12 pm

I have palmetto st augustine and it is getting very patchy and starting to spread further into my lawn. This started when we were having heavy rains everyday here in central Florida. Anyone know what it could be causing this? I do not see any evidence of chinch bugs I have sprayed insecticide and fungicide but it keeps continuing to die back. It looks like it is scorched. Thank you for any help.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Anyone know whats going on here??

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 12th, 2021, 1:49 am

I might. I struggled with a disease for several years. It was caused by too much rainfall, but once it started it never stopped - for years. I bought new St Augustine pieces, and those got the disease immediately. I was completely frustrated until I listened to the local radio garden show. He recommended using corn meal, ordinary corn meal. What the heck? It wasn't going to cost much to try it. It WORKED! Ordinary, grocery store, corn meal solved my St Augustine problem. After that I started buying it in bulk at the feed store. I remember the price in 2002 was $3 per bag. This year it was twice that and I believe it went higher after I got mine in the spring. I've used it successfully every year for about 20 years now. There is another corn meal product called corn GLUTEN meal. That is a different product and seems to have no effect on the fungus. It is an excellent fertilizer, though.

Look closely at your grass and compare to the spots in this picture.

Apparently corn meal only works on St Augustine lawns. The formal application rate is 15 pounds per 1,000 square feet, but if you get 10 to 20 down it should respond. Give it 3 full weeks before judging it. After that you'll have forgotten about it, and then, SUDDENLY (!), you'll remember and notice how good it looks.