Cut Bermuda Too Low (on purpose)

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
KShip21
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Cut Bermuda Too Low (on purpose)

Post by KShip21 » September 7th, 2021, 9:24 am

Long story short (no pun intended0, I normally cut my Bermuda at 2 1/8in. I was gone this summer for a few weeks and when I got back, the grass was too long to just whack down to 2 1/8, so since early July I have been keeping at 3 1/4. Tops of blades nice and green, but anything lower is all brown. and unhealthy I wanted to bring height down to improve health of rest of the grass, so this weekend I cut at 3 1/4, then a couple days later cut down to 2 1/2. Of course now, the yard is completely yellow/brown. What is the best way to get this to green up without letting it grow too long as I would like to keep down around 2 1/2 for the rest of the season, and then start lower again next spring. Thank you in advance. Atlanta Metro Area

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Cut Bermuda Too Low (on purpose)

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 12th, 2021, 1:53 am

What you're seeing is the effect of letting bermuda get too tall. If you continually mow it low, it will take on a horizontal growth habit. Those prickly brown stems will be clipped off and only the flat growing stems will grow. Then the grass blades grow upward from the horizontal stems. After that you'll be mowing the grass blades and not the stems. Some bermuda lawns are mowed down to 7/16" but you have to mow a lawn like that every day.