Weed identification help

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
ibChato
Grass Type: Dirt, future Bermuda and st. augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weed identification help

Post by ibChato » October 12th, 2021, 10:45 pm

Posted this in the lawn care thread and was suggested I post here. I’m in SoCal zone 10b. Need help on what I can do now to address weed problem.

https://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/view ... 409d2c727d

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Weed identification help

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » December 11th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Sorry for the long delay. We have been house hunting, house buying, house staging, and house moving for an entire year. We're not finished yet, but I am on and off the computer.
Rather than using your zone and your location as Southern California (which extends from San Diego to Bakersfield including Blythe, Lake Arrowhead, and Santa Barbara, it would be better to just tell us where you live. If you live in La Jolla, say that. We're not coming over for Christmas.
But if you are planning for bermuda and St Augustine lawn, then you probably don't live at Big Bear, so I can help you. Next April, look for a weed killer with atrazine in it. Here's one I found at Walmart.
You may have trouble finding it in SoCal. It is not banned, but it carries a heavy caution about being a reproductive hazard. If you or your wife are planning a family this year, then use a different product. But the atrazine is a miracle worker for killing weeds and weed seeds in bermuda and St Aug. I believe it is not recommended for use in bermuda but in my experience with it, you cannot do any damage to the bermuda (as much as I have tried). It will also take out poa annua and its seeds, so you should not have a recurrence of it next season. You can use the product once per year. I would wait until April 15 to ensure all the weeds are up and growing and ready to die.