Soil Test Results Help

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
soggyturf1
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Soil Test Results Help

Post by soggyturf1 » April 17th, 2022, 11:57 pm

I just received my soil test results and am hoping for some feedback because I had already applied some products to the lawn while the results were processing.

Yard-Type: St. Augustine
Size: 5,000 sq feet

Timeline:
4/4/22 - Applied Scott's Turf Feeder Southern Weed and Feed for 5,000 square feet.
4/5/22 - Soil Test done and sent off to the lab.
4/7/22 - Did some Celsius spot application on some really bad spots throughout the yard (front and back).
4/11/22 - Applied 0-0-7 Dithiopyr for 5,000 square feet.
4/13/22 - Soil Test results received (attached). Looks like I am high on Sulfur, Calcium, Sodium, and pH. I was recommended Greene Pop (16-21-2), MicroGreene (0-0-2), and Starter (12-12-12).

1. Before receiving the results I was planning on applying Flagship (24-0-6) on May 11th and Soil Mastery (5-0-0) on June 1st. Based on what I applied after the test results, are there any variances in the application of Greene Pop, MicroGreene, or Starter that I should consider? The results were not super clear on if I should apply all of them or just choose one of them.

2. Can I still apply Flagship and Soil Mastery on my intended dates?

3. Any other thoughts or concerns?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Soil Test Results Help

Post by MorpheusPA » April 18th, 2022, 7:24 am

I'm afraid we only read Logan Labs results for a number of reasons--we know the accuracy (very good). Here, we don't, although I can already tell you I find this extremely dubious. We can read them quickly, whereas here we'd have to do the research--something neither of us have much time right now to do. And so on.

I'd suggest having this re-done through Logan.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Soil Test Results Help

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 1st, 2022, 6:20 pm

I would further suggest you click back into your profile and redo your location. Texas is waaaaaaay to big to give any meaningful answers. If you live in Dalhart then you have no business trying St Augustine. And if you live in Dallas, pleeeeze don't say North Texas. Be specific. Other terms that don't fly are West Texas, Panhandle, Central Texas, Hill Country. South Texas, Rio Grande Valley, etc. Name the town or community nearest to you.

Okay now I'll try to be helpful. Stop throwing stuff on the lawn. Stop altogether. Relax. At this point you are doing more harm than good. Three applications of herbicide already is way overthinking it. Here is how you get great St Augustine in order of importance.

Watering
Water deeply and infrequently. Deep means 1 inch all at one time and not spread out 1/7" per day. You can set out cat food or tuna cans and time how long it takes your sprinkler(s) to fill all the cans. That will become your new watering time from now on. With my water pressure and oscillator sprinkler/hose combination, my time is 8 hours. Some high flow in-ground systems can deliver 1 inch in 20 minutes. Your time will likely be in between. Frequency depends mostly on the daytime high temperature, but once every week or two is about right this time of year. If your temps are in the 80s, deep water every 2 weeks. If your temps are in the 90s, then weekly should be good. The delayed watering helps keep weeds away, because weed seeds need daily watering to germinate. If you have been watering more often than once a week, that would explain your need for so much weed control.

Mowing
Mulch mow every week or two at the mower's HIGHEST setting. There is never any reason to mow St Augustine at a different setting. The tall setting prevents weeds and slows down evaporation from the soil.

Fertilizer
Apply your FIRST dose of nitrogen fertilizer in May (now). Oops, too late for that. When St Augustine awakens it already has all the nutrients it needs to go into May, so adding more only works against you. You'll still have to apply more in May. Apply a second dose of chemical fertilizer in October when the summer heat starts cooling off. Apply the last dose in late November. However, if you want to use organic fertilizers, which just about everyone on this forum would encourage, then you can do that now without worrying about the early fertilizer effect. Organic fertilizer works differently and can be applied any day, or every day, of the year even if you just applied chemical fertilizer today.

That's it. Note that I did not mention herbicide. Herbicide really falls off the list of things to do if you are watering, mowing, and fertilizing as above. If you want to use one, this stuff works like magic for almost all the weeds. If even kills poa annua permanently.
You only apply it one time in mid April, again, too late, and it is pretty good for the long term future.

I also did not mention insecticide or fungicide. If you think you have an insect or disease problem, please write back with particulars and pictures.