PGR for dummies

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

PGR for dummies

Post by Spacklerstyle » May 10th, 2022, 8:28 am

I am interested in applying some PGR this year to better help slow the vertical growth of my Tifway 419 and promote denser turf and better horizontal growth. I mow slightly under .5” every 3 days (and happy to doing it). However; rain or life events can cause this to stretch to 4 or even 5 days on occasion, which then forces me to remove more leaf tissue than I want to keep my HOC where I want it. I am hoping the PGR will help in this respect.

My question is, as I have never applied PGR before, can an experienced guru give me a quick crash course? Is generic Primo the way to go? What application rates and frequency is recommended for central Texas (we are already in a stretch of 90+ degree daily temps, reaching 100 next week), Tifway 419 Bermuda mowed to ~7/16”.

Any specific hose end sprayer that folks recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Re: PGR for dummies

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm

Our experienced bermuda guru got chased away from this forum years ago; however, I doubt he ever experienced regulating growth. He was a bermuda farmer and always wanted more growth. So I'm thinking you'll have trouble finding a guru with experience regulating bermuda growth.
Is your yard in full sun? I ask because it is hard to imagine Tif 419 not being dense enough for someone in full sun.

One thing you could try without doing any harm at all would be repeated (weekly or monthly) applications of alfalfa meal or pellets (which ever one you can find at your local feed store). Tractor Supply might have ordinary alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). I know they have horse cubes, so whatever you do, don't get the bag with the horse on the front. Call the other places and check their price for rabbit chow in 50-pound bags. The application rate is 15 to 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Alfalfa meal and pellets are an organic fertilizer which happens to contain a plant growth regulator. Most people do not use enough to see the growth regulation effect, but if you keep after it, well, for one you'll never need chemical fertilizer again, but you might also see the growth rate slow down. I'd think once a month would work for you. You're probably fertilizing once a month anyway if you're thinking of slowing it down.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » June 1st, 2022, 3:01 am

Thanks Dchall. Yeah, mostly full sun, expect the side yard and a few places in the front. Now that my live oaks are 6 years old they are starting to shade out a few spots.

The Alfalfa is interesting. Now that you mention it. I put down some Natures Creation 6-1-2 a couple years ago and the grass responded increasingly well to it. That said my P levels are WAY down this year and I am hitting it with monthly starter fertilizer apps to bring it back up. Maybe next year, unless you think I can get away with an off cycle app of alfalfa without overdoing the N.

Thoughts?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 5th, 2022, 8:03 pm

How do you know your P levels are down? Are you testing at TAMU or Logan Labs? I hope you're doing TAMU and we can convince you to try a test from Logan Labs. TAMU has a history of problems with their soil test lab.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 6th, 2022, 8:01 pm

You can always dump on organics, if they're grains, without worrying overmuch about nitrogen. The starter fertilizer is also going to target phosphorus in terms of application at 1 pound P, and usually target about 0.8 to 0.9 pounds of N, depending on the starter, so you're low to begin with (unless the first and second number are balanced).

Overapplication, as noted, will cause a paradoxical effect of trimming roots and slowing growth. And two, overapplication sets off a reeking stench that cannot be overestimated in terms of the atrociousness of the smell. I'd suggest limiting it to 15 pounds per thousand square feet, twice per season if you wanted to avoid the PGR effect. More doesn't help; the paradoxical effect won't kick in until well above this, however. Since you're trying to invoke it, go with monthly, at which point you MIGHT see it starting around month 4. But it's going to depend very much on rainfall and other effects.

As one of the aggrieved parties from said "expert's" being "chased away," I have some disagreement with the above statement as well. Suffice to say you'll find differing facts and opinions on that one, up to and including (now that I no longer have to hold my tongue as I'm not a moderator), sock puppeting of accounts, and so forth. Nice, he wasn't. Well gone, he certainly is.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » June 7th, 2022, 1:08 am

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 8:03 pm
How do you know your P levels are down? Are you testing at TAMU or Logan Labs? I hope you're doing TAMU and we can convince you to try a test from Logan Labs. TAMU has a history of problems with their soil test lab.
Yes, confirmed through Logan Labs… and heeding the advice of the soil gurus on how to approach it.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » June 7th, 2022, 1:15 am

Thanks to you both! I appreciate the insight.

I don’t see a strong supporting reaction to the use of PGR here, so I’ll refrain for now.

I may put down some alfalfa, but for different reasons if it’ll take 4 months or so to see a growth regulating aspect. Things will begin slowing down by then anyway.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 7th, 2022, 9:11 am

That's sensible. You'll actually see growth acceleration for the first two months using it, in part from the growth hormones and in part from the extra nitrogen and other resources.

I stepped up my resource applications this spring and rebalanced calcium, magnesium, potassium, boron, copper, and molybdenum levels. Growth has skyrocketed. It's June and it's not slowing down (although the weather is holding at "simply perfect").