Leveling Bermuda lawn that grows on a gentle slope

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
JAG
Grass Type: BERMUDA
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Leveling Bermuda lawn that grows on a gentle slope

Post by JAG » July 9th, 2009, 6:25 pm

[moved to create own topic. Originally posted in Strategic Leveling of Bermuda lawn]

Hi,
I have a similar problem. My high areas are a light color green I guess for the same reason. They gently slope down so there is really nothing to level so is there anything else I can do to green up these little hills?
Thanks
BermudaAddict wrote:Hi all,

I love the posts on here and have learned a great deal (love the Bermuda Bible - I thought about printing it off and sleeping with it).

Here's my issue: Moved into my house 15 months ago (April 2008), lawn in terrible shape w/ 70% weeds. Killed weeds and injured lawn in process. Beginning July 2008 nursed lawn back to health. This year it "looks" really good (lots of fertilizer) and mow at 2" (to encourage a thicker lawn). There's my problem. I want to mow shorter, but there are many sections of my lawn that have 1"-2" variations in elevation within a 3-4 foot area and I end up scalping the lawn.

What would be the most effective way for me to level those areas without completely scalping my entire lawn?

If I use a drop-spreader (for fertilizer) to deposit the sand, will it "self-level" at all? In other words, will it "flow" to fill in the low spots and not remain on the high spots, or will I exacerbate the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.