Grinding Cracked Corn?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Grinding Cracked Corn?

Post by Hammbone81 » July 20th, 2021, 1:35 pm

I started using cracked corn this year. Feed mill is only 5-6 blocks from my house. My only complaint is that corn plants grow in the yard (and the dogs try to eat it after it first goes down).

I've searched for sources of cornmeal in bulk in my area, but it's not available. I found a source 3 states away, but it's 2x the price plush shipping.

Does anyone here re-grind their cracked corn? I just started looking into it and see there are some electric grain mills out their. If anyone is doing this, what machine do you use?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Grinding Cracked Corn?

Post by MorpheusPA » July 20th, 2021, 3:12 pm

I don't, but ask your mill if they'll grind it for you--mine will. Free. I once asked for a slightly finer grind, they actually did it to my specs (I had no idea what I was asking for, I just didn't want whole corn, which was all they had at that time).

As far as corn plants, they definitely won't survive the first mow.

Hammbone81

Post by Hammbone81 » July 20th, 2021, 4:35 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 20th, 2021, 3:12 pm
I don't, but ask your mill if they'll grind it for you--mine will. Free. I once asked for a slightly finer grind, they actually did it to my specs (I had no idea what I was asking for, I just didn't want whole corn, which was all they had at that time).

As far as corn plants, they definitely won't survive the first mow.
Thanks Morph - I already have a call in to my local mill. Expecting a call back from the owner. I'm looking at other options for purchasing an electric mill. There's several home brewer mills out there, but the fine print says "not recommended for corn." But if my local mill will do it, I'll just have them do it and move on.

I know the corn plants only last for 1 cutting, but man, it looks bad. (and the neighbors are talking, but I guess I really don't care about that because I'm the only one with a green lawn this summer :) )

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bolson32 » July 21st, 2021, 12:24 pm

Having grown up hanging out with grandpa who worked at the local feed mill until retirement. I can't imagine that to be an issue. But each one is different. Even if they charge a little more it won't be much, It would take a lot of milling to pay for the miller and your time.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 21st, 2021, 2:14 pm

I let two corn plants grow in my garden one year just for fun, next to each other. Being the daughters of good corn, they weren't that good, but I did get "ears." Not very well-fertilized, not large, but they had a few corn pieces on them.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » July 22nd, 2021, 1:49 am

Homebrew mills will probably disappoint you.

If you have arms like popeye and unlimited time, a Corona mill might do the trick. If you have a kitchenaid, and almost unlimited time, their mill attachment might work.

I googled corn mill grinder and found one intriguing possibility. But I'm suspicious. It seems like overkill. And it also seems too cheap.

https://www.dorathya.com/index.php?main ... dgbftvp2f0

110 lb/hr? $78.39 free shipping?

I'm tempted to buy it to process 10-15 lbs of grain for brewing (it takes more than an hour now).

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bolson32 » July 22nd, 2021, 1:12 pm

That site is 100% a scam.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 22nd, 2021, 9:43 pm

Agreed about that site almost surely being a scam. It was first registered on 28 June 2021

Hammbone81

Post by Hammbone81 » July 22nd, 2021, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I found a couple options that look promising, but not sure i want to store either of them. (And they're a little pricey)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... der-13-gal

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/bravo-feed-grinder

I left a message with the local mill. The owner is supposed to call me back.