Malt extract syrup

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Malt extract syrup

Post by umbo514 » July 9th, 2022, 8:54 am

So I got my hands on a lot of ‘expired’ malt extract syrup. Can I spray this (diluted) on both the lawn and garden?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Malt extract syrup

Post by MorpheusPA » July 9th, 2022, 12:34 pm

Yes. It's natural sugar maltose (a double sugar), so it's effectively just a carbohydrate. Think of it as spraying sugar on the lawn.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 9th, 2022, 4:17 pm

How old is it and how was it stored? It may still have some use of you're a brewer.

It may be tough to file enough to spray. I think you'd probably want to use about 4 parts water to one part extract by volume. You'll want the water to be hot to have much of a chance of getting a good mixture. You could probably use a ratio of 2 parts boiling water to one part extract to get it to dissolve. Make sure you bring the water to a boil, then turn the heat off, then add the extract, then add the rest of the water. If you have the equipment to bring the full amount of water to a boil, even better.

If the extract is in containers by weight, 1 gallon of extract is about 12 lbs.

umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Some Experience

Post by umbo514 » July 10th, 2022, 9:43 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 9th, 2022, 12:34 pm
Yes. It's natural sugar maltose (a double sugar), so it's effectively just a carbohydrate. Think of it as spraying sugar on the lawn.
Thank you for the information!
bpgreen wrote:
July 9th, 2022, 4:17 pm
How old is it and how was it stored? It may still have some use of you're a brewer.

It may be tough to file enough to spray. I think you'd probably want to use about 4 parts water to one part extract by volume. You'll want the water to be hot to have much of a chance of getting a good mixture. You could probably use a ratio of 2 parts boiling water to one part extract to get it to dissolve. Make sure you bring the water to a boil, then turn the heat off, then add the extract, then add the rest of the water. If you have the equipment to bring the full amount of water to a boil, even better.

If the extract is in containers by weight, 1 gallon of extract is about 12 lbs.
From what I was told, it’s plus 10 years old; looks and smells completely fine though. Thank you for the tips, I am thinking of adding it to my serenade applications.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 10th, 2022, 11:08 pm

10 years is pretty old. I've used extract that was a year past its best by date. It was darker and made sweeter beer than expected, but it made beer.

10 years? Your plan sounds good.