Few organic questions

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Few organic questions

Post by Riverpilot » April 12th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Having used milo/equivalent for several years, I'm curious about the different organic feedings available.

Having found a source last year that has pretty much anything organic I want...
If I'm looking for a corn organic, what would be the best to use with a spreader? Cracked, gluten meal, distillers grain?
For soybean: Extruded meal, non-gmo meal, Hi-pro 46% meal.

All the above come in 50lb bags.

Thanks much,

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Few organic questions

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2023, 11:40 am

Most of us keep it as simple and easy as possible.

Milo, soybean meal (46%), and cracked corn tend to form the staples (cracked corn being the one used for organic material without much feeding; it's low nitrogen).

Distiller's grains tend to be moderately low N as well, but incredibly cheap.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Few organic questions

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 26th, 2023, 4:09 pm

If you visit Tractor Supply you can find pelletized corn products as well as alfalfa products. Their chicken and fish food are practical examples. The pelletized versions will flow better through a spreader than a meal, which tends to absorb humidity and stick to itself. You do pay for the pelletized products, though. I have not compared Tractor Supply prices with commercially bagged organic fertilizers.

As you are in Iowa, check the difference in prices of corn products. I can get ordinary corn meal for roughly $12 a bag in 2023 while corn gluten meal is upwards of $40. I believe most of the difference is in shipping costs, but it could be supply/demand since cattle feed lots buy literally tons of CGM for their mixes. I remember on another forum that folks in Indiana reported buying CGM in 100 pound bulk for something under $10, so it really depends on where you are. Than again at that time I was getting ordinary corn meal for $3 per bag and CGM for $20 for 50 pounds.

In the interest of human interest, I took this picture of CGM at a feed lot in Wheeler, Texas back in 2009.