Organics What's in the bag

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Organics What's in the bag

Post by HanLawn » April 14th, 2013, 7:55 pm

No Tractor Supply Store or Southern States store in Northern Va? I find that real hard to believe!

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » April 16th, 2013, 12:18 pm

There's a Southern States power about a half hour away, so that's not too bad I guess.

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » April 16th, 2013, 3:03 pm

In Northern Va,a "half hour away" means like 5 miles right? Traffic is the 1 thing I dont miss about living in that area!

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » April 16th, 2013, 6:34 pm

andy10917 wrote:Here's another point (a dirty little secret) to consider -- both for organic fertilizers and even for the food we buy for ourselves:

Mineral and vitamin content has fallen sharply in the products we buy since the 1970's. In many grains/fruits/vegetables it has fallen by 60% or more. The commercial agriculture area has developed varieties that are larger, more disease resistant and that have a longer shelf-life, but the nutrient content has fallen badly. This is a side-effect of the varieties developed and the lack of mineral replacement in the soils being farmed.

Do not read the "nutrient value" information from the 1975 USDA charts and think that the grain/fruit/vegetable purchased really contains those nutrients today.

Grains today are almost totally devoid of the micronutrients, and the secondary macronutrients are falling too...

Thanks, Andy, for remining us of an important fact. I, for one, appreciate your wisdom and thankless input to the forum! After reading your post a number of times, it finally sunk in.
We are all striving to do the right thing yet, the odds for success is a continually moving target.
Please continue to keep us informed.

drneutrino
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by drneutrino » April 16th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Well you all seem to have missed the best IMO and Im shocked that people are using Milorganite. Its one thing to use rotted animal manures from a known source but Sewage Sludge can contain all sorts of things you dont want in your garden/lawn. You want something organic that you would eat. Enter Soybean Meal. Get a hold of "Weedless Gardening" by Lee Reich. Ive been using this stuff for over 13 years and while its expensive due to marketing in urban areas, those who can get just pure soybean meal which is fed to hogs can get it much cheaper.

Since I live near Boston, I use the Blue Seal Safe n' Simple 6-2-4 that you have in your list. Its just Soybean, Alfalfa, Fish Meals. Its about $22 for 50lb bag. Years ago, I bought the same bag of just Blueseal soybean meal from another supplier whose gone out of business for about $10.

Its IMPOSSIBLE to burn your lawn with this stuff. The only problem Ive had is occasionally an animal will eat some of it. Best to water in it so it disintegrates at least partially.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 16th, 2013, 8:59 pm

That's a bunch of nothingness, drneutrino. I don't know whether you fell out of the sky and read nothing but this thread on the site, but you speak as if you have no idea that SBM is a staple around here.

But since you decided to drop in and speak in scary generalities left hanging, what EXACTLY are the "all sorts of things that you don't want in your garden/lawn"? And what "shocks" you about the use of Milorganite and your local "Bay State Fertilizer" product?

TNJDM
Grass Type: T10 Bermuda Front, Crap in the Back

Post by TNJDM » April 17th, 2013, 7:35 am

Have you not read about the thousands of deaths caused by Milorganite over the last 60 years. Thank God an expert has finally showed up on theis forum. :)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 17th, 2013, 5:48 pm

I guess I missed that story...

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » April 30th, 2013, 10:17 am

HanLawn wrote:In Northern Va,a "half hour away" means like 5 miles right? Traffic is the 1 thing I dont miss about living in that area!

EXACTLY. There's something over in Manassas, but depending when you go could be a 30 minute or 60 minute trip. Each way.

kevreh

Post by kevreh » April 30th, 2013, 10:21 am

andy10917 wrote:That's a bunch of nothingness, drneutrino. I don't know whether you fell out of the sky and read nothing but this thread on the site, but you speak as if you have no idea that SBM is a staple around here.

But since you decided to drop in and speak in scary generalities left hanging, what EXACTLY are the "all sorts of things that you don't want in your garden/lawn"? And what "shocks" you about the use of Milorganite and your local "Bay State Fertilizer" product?
Well its been a couple weeks now, guess drneutrino isn't coming back, bummer I was looking forward to this. :duel:

PA Lawn Guy
Grass Type: TTTF/PR/KBG

Post by PA Lawn Guy » January 13th, 2018, 11:49 am

Does anyone have any experience with this product:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Purely-Orga ... /204279747

Haven't seen it mentioned (good or bad) on the site. Considering it as part of a 2018 regimen.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » January 13th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Please start a new topic (thread) instead of taking a five-year-old dead posting off-topic.

PA Lawn Guy
Grass Type: TTTF/PR/KBG

Post by PA Lawn Guy » January 13th, 2018, 11:27 pm

Sorry, my fault. I thought this was the closest existing thread since it nicely summarized several organic fertilizers into one list (but didn't include the product i wondered about). I will start a new thread as you request.