Proactive Biofungicides Program Heads-Up

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
mattya
Grass Type: Bewitched, Prosperity, Moonlight SLT
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Proactive Biofungicides Program Heads-Up

Post by mattya » May 27th, 2014, 10:46 am

Okay so, do you guys foliar apply your Serenade or soil drench it? Aka - Hose end or pump sprayer? I've always used a hose end, yet used a pump sprayer for Actinovate. However, I HATE using my hose end. Would MUCH rather use my backpack sprayer and just tank mix Actinovate and Serenade.

I guess I can accomplish either method with the backpack - Just irrigate a bit afterwards if I'm looking for a soil drench. Any pros/cons to either method?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 27th, 2014, 11:00 am

I'm primarily targeting rust and leaf spot, which are leaf-born fungi. Ergo, I use a foliar application of Serenade out of my backpack sprayer. Label says specifically NOT to apply with surfactant.

I usually go ahead and throw in some Bat Lawn Kelp Help with it.

I try to time it a day or two before it rains so some of the Serenade hits the soil where it may attack some other fungus as well.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by ENVY23 » June 1st, 2014, 3:17 pm

How do you guys determine how long to apply biofungicides? My first plan was to apply bi-weekly Companion apps from mid-April to mid-June. But, from what I can tell, humidity plays a big role, so I've been studying local humidity patterns from last year and this year to help establish a general base-line plan for next year, and AVERAGE humidity is 80+ from April to October, and MAXIMUM humidity hits 100 quite often. So is it a humidity thing or do you just do it during the rainy seasons?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 3rd, 2014, 10:38 pm

The Proactive Biofungicides program is an almost season-long thing. Don't try to redefine it to think that you can do a few perfectly-timed apps and make it work. You'll fail. It's a constant amount of basic coverage, ramped up more when things favor fungus instead of lawn owner.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 3rd, 2014, 11:17 pm

We are upper 70s to 80s with off and on rain for the next week or so. Going to try to get another application of Serenade down soon.

I'm very happy with my results thus far. I put down my kelp help mixture with Serenade and spray away the day before a rain is coming - working well thus far.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 4th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I increase frequency of Serenade applications to weekly, and upped my Serenade application to 4 oz / K after I found my first patch of rust of only a few square feet:

The pictures above are from after I gave it a heavy coating of my Seranade and Bat Lawn Kelp Help mixture.

The forecast says it's going to continue to be partly cloudy, around 80, and high humidity for several days. I'm hoping it dries out. This is close to where I had a rust outbreak last fall.

BuckeyeChuck
Grass Type: Blueberry

Post by BuckeyeChuck » June 5th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Keep us posted. Do you wait two days before / after a mow to apply Serenade? We have possible rain coming Sunday and I'd like to get a mow in first.

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 5th, 2014, 7:52 pm

BuckeyeChuck wrote:Keep us posted. Do you wait two days before / after a mow to apply Serenade? We have possible rain coming Sunday and I'd like to get a mow in first.
I'll apply mine right after a mow, but definitely not right BEFORE a mow. It's foliar and you want Serenade to touch what you want it to kill - which is on the leaves - doesn't make sense to remove it right after you apply it...

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 5th, 2014, 8:42 pm

I should note - this is a spot that I dormant seeded and plugged - so I've probably watered it nearly every day in the evening - most likely spot to get rust in the lawn probably

fsl
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by fsl » June 20th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Just FYI I got the Serenade concentrate from 1000bulbs.com at $14.94/quart plus shipping.

I was about to click 'submit' in simplesuccessforperfectplants.com when I noticed that the company is actually just a 15 minute drive away, so I ordered by phone and picked it up.

The Companion is $25.95/quart in the retail line (i.e. the online price). Another format is 12x1 quart box but I didn't ask for the price (hopefully it should be cheaper than 12x$25.95). What's interesting is that they sell it in the professional line in 2.5 gallons and 2x2.5 gallons also, and the prices are $295.62 and $523.16 respectively (not including shipping or tax). No, I didn't mistype the prices. I especially asked and the reply was something like this:

'The product for the retail & professional line is the same exact product and quality. The pricing is different for the “Simple Success” retail line.'

That office also sells TKO Phosphite, which is in the professional line only and is $180.24 total for 2x2.5 gallons.

I don't know the shipping charges for either though.