Lazy Man Product Experience?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » September 12th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Has anyone had any experience with either the Lazy Man Liquid Gold or Soil Doctor products by Outside Pride? I found a deal on the Soil Doctor concentrate, and purchased a gallon. My main need is aeration/conditioning of my clay soil. I had an irrigation system and an invisible dog fence installed, and the thought of a mechanical aerator cutting wires, smashing sprinkler heads and crushing valves scares the bejeebus out of me. I am desperately hoping that these products do what is claimed! Can anyone confirm or deny the claims? Thanks for your help.

JustAGuy
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lazy Man Product Experience?

Post by JustAGuy » September 12th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I used liquid gold last year, but I also did smapoo applications. I have much better penitration on the screw driver test.
IIRC it has some nitrogen and humates in it too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » September 12th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Save your money. Make your own.
http://aroundtheyard.com/organic/soil-c ... LSC#p46112

Do a search here for BLSC.

If you're not up to mixing your own or pressed for time. Use shampoo. I have been using it for a couple of years here in Georgia. Read......http://aroundtheyard.com/soil/soil-cond ... ite%20rain

oze

Post by oze » September 12th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Thanks for the tips. I did buy a gallon, so after I use it up, I will definitely try the homemade approach. Hey, why not? I make my own beer!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 12th, 2014, 8:54 pm

oze wrote:Thanks for the tips. I did buy a gallon, so after I use it up, I will definitely try the homemade approach. Hey, why not? I make my own beer!
Another home brewer. There are a number of us. I grow my own hops and brew partial mash.

oze

Post by oze » September 14th, 2014, 7:49 pm

bpgreen wrote:
oze wrote:Thanks for the tips. I did buy a gallon, so after I use it up, I will definitely try the homemade approach. Hey, why not? I make my own beer!
Another home brewer. There are a number of us. I grow my own hops and brew partial mash.
I brew, therefore I am! And it looks as if you live near a couple of my favorite brewpubs: Wasatch Brewery in Park City and Squatters, in SLC. It's been a long time since I've been out there, and I do miss it!

oze

Post by oze » September 14th, 2014, 7:50 pm

JustAGuy wrote:I used liquid gold last year, but I also did smapoo applications. I have much better penitration on the screw driver test.
IIRC it has some nitrogen and humates in it too.

Thanks! I'm glad not to hear the dreaded "snake oil" charge!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 14th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Home brewer here too! :hello:

Almost time for pumpkin ale....

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » September 15th, 2014, 9:08 am

Brewer here also!

I have tapered off my production since my daughter was born a few years back. Plus seems like prices of materials have went up a bit in my area - making it not so economically sound.

You guys putting your grains out on the yard? - I havn't yet - seems like most my brewing is late fall and winter.

I think a store bought concoction like this is a decent way to add a little diversity to your BLSC/KH brew... I would blend it into mix brew :) It might have a little something something that straight kelp/humic/molassas/soap doesn't have... (not sure whatelese...)

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » September 15th, 2014, 11:36 am

BoatDrinksQ5 wrote:Brewer here also!

I have tapered off my production since my daughter was born a few years back. Plus seems like prices of materials have went up a bit in my area - making it not so economically sound.
I read something recently that predicted a jump in malt prices next year. Apparently, there was some bad weather at bad times in some of the big barley producing states.
You guys putting your grains out on the yard? - I havn't yet - seems like most my brewing is late fall and winter.
I put them on the lawn, the garden, the hops and the compost.

shay
Grass Type: St Augustine Mostly
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by shay » September 19th, 2014, 10:00 am

BoatDrinksQ5 wrote: You guys putting your grains out on the yard? - I havn't yet - seems like most my brewing is late fall and winter.
I put mine in the compost bin plus quite of bit of peat moss to balance the greens of the grain.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » September 19th, 2014, 2:17 pm

shay wrote:
BoatDrinksQ5 wrote: You guys putting your grains out on the yard? - I havn't yet - seems like most my brewing is late fall and winter.
I put mine in the compost bin plus quite of bit of peat moss to balance the greens of the grain.
Peat moss is pretty well broken down already. I'd use something like shredded paper or sawdust instead of the peat moss.

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Lazy Man Product Experience?o

Post by gryd » October 5th, 2014, 10:27 am

I typically make my own soil conditioner but I managed to grab a FREE gallon of Lazy Man soil aerator this past summer. To make a long story short, their fine fescue picture on their website is from my yard so I wrote them requesting free products. That's all I got.

I just used it on my renovation. I did what Boatdrink suggested and mixed some in with my Best Lawn brew of ALS and Yucca. It made a very rich, thick product. It was creamy in a sense and looked like a thick Guinness. I sprayed it and some of my seedlings that were growing slowly in more compact soil seem to be taking off. Of course, they were probably due to take off anyway but who knows.

I don't think their products are snake oil but I probably wouldn't purchase them when I can make my own. Then again their product does seem to differ from the soap based products. http://www.outsidepride.com/lawn-aerato ... rator.html
Maybe I will buy a little in the future to mix in with my Best Lawn brew.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » October 5th, 2014, 10:34 am

gryd wrote:I typically make my own soil conditioner but I managed to grab a FREE gallon of Lazy Man soil aerator this past summer. To make a long story short, their fine fescue picture on their website is from my yard so I wrote them requesting free products. That's all I got.

I just used it on my renovation. I did what Boatdrink suggested and mixed some in with my Best Lawn brew of ALS and Yucca. It made a very rich, thick product. It was creamy in a sense and looked like a thick Guinness. I sprayed it and some of my seedlings that were growing slowly in more compact soil seem to be taking off. Of course, they were probably due to take off anyway but who knows.

I don't think their products are snake oil but I probably wouldn't purchase them when I can make my own. Then again their product does seem to differ from the soap based products. http://www.outsidepride.com/lawn-aerato ... rator.html
So they used a picture of your lawn that they used without your permission?

Do you have a link?

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

gryd
Grass Type: Elite Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by gryd » October 5th, 2014, 3:58 pm

turf_toes wrote:
gryd wrote:I typically make my own soil conditioner but I managed to grab a FREE gallon of Lazy Man soil aerator this past summer. To make a long story short, their fine fescue picture on their website is from my yard so I wrote them requesting free products. That's all I got.

So they used a picture of your lawn that they used without your permission?

Do you have a link?

I just checked their site again. Guess what? Your lawn is there as well Turf Toes! Here's the link: http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass- ... -seed.html
They are using 2 pictures of your lawn in fact. Plus I think they are using it on their Amazon store as well. At least they did for me.

Here's the link to mine: http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass- ... -seed.html

I don't think it is illegal unless we copyright our pictures. We freely posted them on the Internet and I think they are open game. I'm not gonna hire an attorney to find out. I did contact them and asked for the 2 gallon size. They sent me the one gallon size and when I questioned it they said that's all they are sending.
Let me know what you think about them using our pictures.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » October 5th, 2014, 4:05 pm

I happen to know a little something about copyright law and this is a pretty clear violation.

Plus it is a pretty clear misrepresentation of "truth."

I've grabbed a screenshot and will be in touch with them.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » October 5th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Yeah I wouldnt trust a company using stolen images to showcase their product.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » October 5th, 2014, 8:41 pm

They use rackspace so if they dont take it down you can email their abuse team. Stuff like this gets my nerves going!

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » October 5th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Well, in the case of my pictures (they're using more than one), it's not even being used to sell the correct KBG cultivar. They're using my pics to sell Midnight, but my lawn pics (from my house in Pennsylvania) were Midnight II.

For the record, I've never purchased anything from this company. I've sent them a note asking for an explanation and asking what they intend to do to remedy the situation. I suggested an apology on the site would be a good start.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » October 5th, 2014, 11:26 pm

LOL. The guy is actually claiming that he believes the photo of my backyard is his and that I am simply copying it.

Here are the photos he is hosting on his servers:

http://content.outsidepride.com/images/ ... night1.jpg

http://content.outsidepride.com/images/ ... night4.jpg

Look familar to anyone?

I asked him to show me his copy of this photo?

http://aroundtheyard.com/tt_photos/old_ ... kyard3.jpg

Notice the kiddie slide?

I have asked that he post a public apology for unathorized use of photos to this site.

He writes in his email that folks who have demanded compensation for use of their photos are pathetic. He then went on to say that I should have sought compensation by him putting a link on his site to this one.

I told him no thank you. I am not looking for financial gain. I simply want an acknowledgement that he used the photos without permission.