Washington's Birthday REMINDER

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Washington's Birthday REMINDER

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » February 16th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Today is the Washington's Birthday federal holiday. If you are like me (that is you live in the south and you use the federal holidays to remind you), now is the time to fertilize with organic fertilizer.

I like to use ordinary corn meal for this one. Why? Because my lawn has early spring disease issues and the corn meal sees me through those with minimal impact. Usually the disease problem is man-made in that my wife does yard work and my girls build piles in the grass from the yard trimmings. The lack of air flow for even a few days leads to disease in the grass. Before I started my organic program I used to worry and fret about the spots spreading, but the corn meal has solved all that for me.

In the category of '(still) more information than you needed to know,' today is the celebration of one president. There were some congressional gyrations back in the 60s and 70s to rename this day, but it didn't happen. Thus the lobby for Abraham Lincoln lost their formal bid to rename the combined birthday-holiday of the two presidents and call the day "President's Day." However, corporate advertisers have picked up on the intent of that failed legislation and have been holding "President's Day" sales ever since then. The popular name is so popular even the government seem to have forgotten that the formal name change never happened.