Thank you

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
TheWombat
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Thank you

Post by TheWombat » March 23rd, 2017, 8:54 am

While I've only just registered on this forum I've been lurking on this forum and the 'other forum' for a couple of months and have skimmed/read many of the posts from the last 2 years as we are looking to switch to a hybrid Organic Lawn Care this year.

I wanted to firstly thank everyone for all the information they have been sharing, it is vast and phenomenal how much knowledge is now on the forums. While I am sure I have missed out many names, I do want to thank people such as Andy, MorpheusPA, DCHall, TexasWeed etc for the time they devote to answering many of the same questions that get posted and the help they continuously provide.

As an introduction we live in Cary, NC in a new build (2 years old) home with 5500 sq ft of Bermuda lawn. Our 'soil' is primarily red builders infill which has clay like properties. Last year I did start applying baby shampoo and noticed some significant improvements in the softness of the soil. We have had some drainage issues primarily due to the rainwater from downspouts of our 2 neighbors ending up on our lawn. I've spent the last couple of months digging and fitting 100'+ of drainage pipe etc and am hopeful that we've improved the situation.

While we have a lawn care service this year we plan to stop it at the end of the year. This year is more of a hybrid trial as we dip our toes into organic lawn care and follow the Bermuda bible and watering recommendations. I will be submitting a soil test this week to Logan Labs as we would like to work to improve the quality of our lawn and the 'soil'.

Our aim this year is to mow at 1.25"-1.5" (rotary mower) 2x-3x a week and water deeply and infrequently using the tuna can approach as we would like to have a thicker Bermuda lawn with deeper roots.

On the Organic lawn care side we have some Alfalfa pellets, Milorganite and molasses and will look to start applying these once we have our soil test results.

thanks

Alex/TheWombat

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Re: Thank you

Post by LoneRanger » March 23rd, 2017, 1:28 pm

Wow! Sounds like someone has been reading and using their comprehension skills.

TheWombat

Post by TheWombat » March 23rd, 2017, 7:41 pm

;-)

Soil Test posted to Logan Labs today ;-)

TheWombat

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Casutherland » March 28th, 2017, 10:41 am

TheWombat wrote:
March 23rd, 2017, 8:54 am
While I've only just registered on this forum I've been lurking on this forum and the 'other forum' for a couple of months and have skimmed/read many of the posts from the last 2 years as we are looking to switch to a hybrid Organic Lawn Care this year.

I wanted to firstly thank everyone for all the information they have been sharing, it is vast and phenomenal how much knowledge is now on the forums. While I am sure I have missed out many names, I do want to thank people such as Andy, MorpheusPA, DCHall, TexasWeed etc for the time they devote to answering many of the same questions that get posted and the help they continuously provide.

As an introduction we live in Cary, NC in a new build (2 years old) home with 5500 sq ft of Bermuda lawn. Our 'soil' is primarily red builders infill which has clay like properties. Last year I did start applying baby shampoo and noticed some significant improvements in the softness of the soil. We have had some drainage issues primarily due to the rainwater from downspouts of our 2 neighbors ending up on our lawn. I've spent the last couple of months digging and fitting 100'+ of drainage pipe etc and am hopeful that we've improved the situation.

While we have a lawn care service this year we plan to stop it at the end of the year. This year is more of a hybrid trial as we dip our toes into organic lawn care and follow the Bermuda bible and watering recommendations. I will be submitting a soil test this week to Logan Labs as we would like to work to improve the quality of our lawn and the 'soil'.

Our aim this year is to mow at 1.25"-1.5" (rotary mower) 2x-3x a week and water deeply and infrequently using the tuna can approach as we would like to have a thicker Bermuda lawn with deeper roots.

On the Organic lawn care side we have some Alfalfa pellets, Milorganite and molasses and will look to start applying these once we have our soil test results.

thanks

Alex/TheWombat
Good stuff man! Glad to see all the knowledge you have picked up from the forums.

My wife and I also purchased new construction in December 2015. We have the same drainage issues, and I personally believe that the soil stays too moist and wet. Also, the thick "clay like" builders infill seems to make it hard for the roots to grow deep. While I have definitely improved the soil since first moving here, there is still a ton of work to do. I didn't even think about the baby shampoo method to soften the soil. Think I am going to try that method.

TheWombat

Post by TheWombat » March 28th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Casutherland wrote:
March 28th, 2017, 10:41 am

Good stuff man! Glad to see all the knowledge you have picked up from the forums.

My wife and I also purchased new construction in December 2015. We have the same drainage issues, and I personally believe that the soil stays too moist and wet. Also, the thick "clay like" builders infill seems to make it hard for the roots to grow deep. While I have definitely improved the soil since first moving here, there is still a ton of work to do. I didn't even think about the baby shampoo method to soften the soil. Think I am going to try that method.
The baby shampoo definitely makes the 'soil' softer. I need to be careful walking on it when it is wet now! For the low price and small time effort it is a no-brainer to try the shampoo.

Just counting down the days now until I get the Logan Labs email with my soil test results!

TheWombat

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 28th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Don not expect the shampoo to deliver the same results as the BLSC formula

TheWombat

Post by TheWombat » March 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 28th, 2017, 12:37 pm
Don not expect the shampoo to deliver the same results as the BLSC formula
I will be trying the BLSC formula - just awaiting some of the ingredients to arrive.

thanks!

TheWombat