Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
RichS
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Post by RichS » July 11th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Two quick question/confirmations as I start purchasing supplies.

SLS sources refer to 26-29% or so by weight - I assume these small variations aren't really relevant. Also (testing my AP Chem memory), Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate = Sodium Laureth Sulfate, correct (different than Sodium Lauryl Sulfate).

I also have the same sprayer. Rate isn't really relevant as long as you spread the right mix over the right area, no? I put down 16 oz (8oz baby shampoo, 8oz water) over 4K sq. ft this weekend - setting to 10 and walking very quickly or setting to 1 and going over the lawn multiple times is the same result (as long as it's an integer number of passes and gets the right amount over the right area), correct? Unlike with weed killer, the actual dillution doesn't really matter, does it? My goal is to dial it in to a consistent walking speed to I can exactly empty what I need in 1 pass.

fwiw, in addition to my front lawn, I put baby shampoo over a measured 1K area in back, and used a similar amount of plain water over a 1K area next to it as a control. Now that I've decided to get to go all in with the KH/BSC, I'll put another patch right next to it and see what happens.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 11th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate = Sodium Laureth Sulfate, correct (different than Sodium Lauryl Sulfate).

Correct, although either SLES or SLS are acceptable for this purpose. I use SLS instead as I can source it at a fraction of the cost: https://www.brambleberry.com/Sodium-Lau ... P3562.aspx

One pound is $5.60 plus shipping, you use 5 oz per gallon to make the concentrate, and neither the concentrate nor powder ever go bad.

If you wanna get hyper-technical, this is sodium laurate sourced from saponified coconut oil, which is then subject to one process or another and then bound to a sulfate ion. I've used just sodium laurate, sodium stearate, sodium olivate, and a few others and they work the same. That's why I have no particular preference in whether you use shampoo, baby shampoo, this, homemade liquid soap (potassium lardate or potassium olivate in most cases), homemade or purchased dissolved solid soap (various sodium salts of fatty acids), and so on. They all work fine, just the tolerable amounts vary.

You won't notice much lawn quality difference, per se, quickly with just the SLS--although the lawn should accept and hold more water over time.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » July 11th, 2017, 3:54 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 2:45 pm

You won't notice much lawn quality difference, per se, quickly with just the SLS--although the lawn should accept and hold more water over time.
Morph,
Can you "ish" a time period where you should start seeing the soil be more accepting to water? Like a application every two weeks and you should see improvement in x weeks?

I know there are many variables but I'm wondering if it's weeks or are we talking months? Does applying more the 2oz per gallon speed things up or is that reckless?

Casutherland
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Casutherland » July 11th, 2017, 4:52 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 3:54 pm
MorpheusPA wrote:
July 11th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Morph,
Can you "ish" a time period where you should start seeing the soil be more accepting to water? Like a application every two weeks and you should see improvement in x weeks?

I know there are many variables but I'm wondering if it's weeks or are we talking months? Does applying more the 2oz per gallon speed things up or is that reckless?
I would love to know more on this as well. Excited to see the response..

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » July 12th, 2017, 1:01 am

It's really very variable, but weeks as opposed to months, assuming you apply every 2 weeks or so.

I regularly use 4 oz per thousand, actually and...er...well, somewhat higher than that at times...

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 14th, 2017, 12:57 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 12th, 2017, 1:01 am
It's really very variable, but weeks as opposed to months, assuming you apply every 2 weeks or so.

I regularly use 4 oz per thousand, actually and...er...well, somewhat higher than that at times...
Hey Morph, when you get time, can you possibly create an updated version of the BLSC and BLKH. From what I have been reading, this formula has changed some, and now most people purchase the non liquid SLS for a cheaper price. I have also noticed that yucca extract is no longer used because of its lack of results and cost. Finally, I have noticed that the rate at which the products are mixed and used has also increased.

Do you agree? If so, Id be willing to donate some to get an updated article with the "new" formulas!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » July 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Regarding yucca, just consider this:
andy10917 wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:30 am
My experience related to Yucca is the opposite -- the work I've done related to BLSC2 showed that it is the most important component affecting water retention.

Casutherland

Post by Casutherland » July 14th, 2017, 2:05 pm

TimmyG wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 1:46 pm
Regarding yucca, just consider this:
andy10917 wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:30 am
My experience related to Yucca is the opposite -- the work I've done related to BLSC2 showed that it is the most important component affecting water retention.
Thanks Tim,

I hadn't seen that post. Good to know!

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » July 14th, 2017, 3:59 pm

I just put down some BLSC and I made it with yucca. $40 a quart hurts so I hope it helps!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » July 14th, 2017, 6:15 pm

$40 a quart hurts so I hope it helps!
Damn!! I need to get into repackaging -- 2.5 gallons of the best brand is like $115

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » July 14th, 2017, 6:23 pm

andy10917 wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 6:15 pm
$40 a quart hurts so I hope it helps!
Damn!! I need to get into repackaging -- 2.5 gallons of the best brand is like $115
Yup, $30 bucks and $10 to ship. That was from TJ enterprises