Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
User avatar
HoosierHound
Posts: 38
Joined: May 2nd, 2016, 7:18 pm
Location: Evansville, IN
Grass Type: Mix of grass and weeds

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby HoosierHound » April 24th, 2017, 10:51 pm

andy, do you use the liquid or powder yucca? Any recommendation one way or the other?
User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 25328
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: Central Valley, NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem/Bewitched KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby andy10917 » April 24th, 2017, 10:55 pm

I use the liquid, only because I see the color and consistency.
canairb
Posts: 22
Joined: April 17th, 2017, 8:37 pm
Location: Southeast, VA
Grass Type: Bermuda and TTTF

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby canairb » April 25th, 2017, 9:25 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 23rd, 2017, 11:26 pm
From the video, it should be 1 oz/qt of kelp, 2 oz/qt of HA. So for you, in half gallon jugs, 2 oz of kelp in one and 4 oz of HA in the other.
Concerning these quart or half gallon jugs of concentrated kelp and HA, are these meant to be used directly on the lawn at the 2 oz/k rate, or are they meant to be used as the kelp and HA "extracts" for the BL Kelp Help plus Humates formula?
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » April 25th, 2017, 11:02 am

Wow.... I actually just realized that I mixed 2 oz of kelp (by weight), and 4 oz of HA (by weight) in the same half gallon jug last night. Is that batch ruined now?
User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 15933
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Contact:

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm

>>Concerning these quart or half gallon jugs of concentrated kelp and HA, are these meant to be used directly on the lawn at the 2 oz/k rate, or are they meant to be used as the kelp and HA "extracts" for the BL Kelp Help plus Humates formula?

Yes. :-) Or, it really doesn't matter, it works both ways.

>>Wow.... I actually just realized that I mixed 2 oz of kelp (by weight), and 4 oz of HA (by weight) in the same half gallon jug last night. Is that batch ruined now?

You're cool. Just use it at 2 oz per thousand and call it application of both the HA and the kelp. I've done this in the past when I've been feelin' lazy and don't want to dual-mix.

Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » April 25th, 2017, 1:22 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm
>>Concerning these quart or half gallon jugs of concentrated kelp and HA, are these meant to be used directly on the lawn at the 2 oz/k rate, or are they meant to be used as the kelp and HA "extracts" for the BL Kelp Help plus Humates formula?

Yes. :-) Or, it really doesn't matter, it works both ways.

>>Wow.... I actually just realized that I mixed 2 oz of kelp (by weight), and 4 oz of HA (by weight) in the same half gallon jug last night. Is that batch ruined now?

You're cool. Just use it at 2 oz per thousand and call it application of both the HA and the kelp. I've done this in the past when I've been feelin' lazy and don't want to dual-mix.
Phew...I thought I was going to have to start over and waste that product. Hopefully it doesn't effect things too much..

Plan on mixing up the SLS and Yucca in a separate half gallon tonight.

Once both are mixed, and I apply them all at once. The Kelp, HA, SLS, and Yucca?
User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 15933
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Contact:

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2017, 6:53 pm

All at once, wait a week and do it all, or do everything a bit at a time when you have time. It makes no difference.

Really, this is difficult to screw up.
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » May 14th, 2017, 12:23 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm
>>Concerning these quart or half gallon jugs of concentrated kelp and HA, are these meant to be used directly on the lawn at the 2 oz/k rate, or are they meant to be used as the kelp and HA "extracts" for the BL Kelp Help plus Humates formula?

Yes. :-) Or, it really doesn't matter, it works both ways.

>>Wow.... I actually just realized that I mixed 2 oz of kelp (by weight), and 4 oz of HA (by weight) in the same half gallon jug last night. Is that batch ruined now?

You're cool. Just use it at 2 oz per thousand and call it application of both the HA and the kelp. I've done this in the past when I've been feelin' lazy and don't want to dual-mix.
Quick question. I have been applying this with a foliage fine mist tip on my hand held sprayer. Should I be using something with a thicker spray to get it down to the soil? Or does it work fine with foliar applications? Basically I am just wetting the grass.

I am mixing 4 oz ea of BLKH and BLSC in 2 gallons of water bi weekly. My yard is only about 2200-2500 sq ft.
Billybob
Posts: 1512
Joined: May 5th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Location: Central NJ
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Billybob » May 14th, 2017, 7:47 am

Just curious......is spraying with a hand held sprayer more effective than a hose end?
User avatar
PSU4ME
Posts: 501
Joined: November 29th, 2016, 9:29 am
Location: Central MA
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby PSU4ME » May 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

Casutherland wrote:
May 14th, 2017, 12:23 am
MorpheusPA wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm
>>Concerning these quart or half gallon jugs of concentrated kelp and HA, are these meant to be used directly on the lawn at the 2 oz/k rate, or are they meant to be used as the kelp and HA "extracts" for the BL Kelp Help plus Humates formula?

Yes. :-) Or, it really doesn't matter, it works both ways.

>>Wow.... I actually just realized that I mixed 2 oz of kelp (by weight), and 4 oz of HA (by weight) in the same half gallon jug last night. Is that batch ruined now?

You're cool. Just use it at 2 oz per thousand and call it application of both the HA and the kelp. I've done this in the past when I've been feelin' lazy and don't want to dual-mix.
Quick question. I have been applying this with a foliage fine mist tip on my hand held sprayer. Should I be using something with a thicker spray to get it down to the soil? Or does it work fine with foliar applications? Basically I am just wetting the grass.

I am mixing 4 oz ea of BLKH and BLSC in 2 gallons of water bi weekly. My yard is only about 2200-2500 sq ft.
I don't think misting is bad but I would prefer to use a more direct spray. My sprayer has a nice wide spray that puts out a good bit of water. This way it gets to the ground and foliar at once.

Where/what SLS did you get? Powder or liquid?
User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 15933
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Contact:

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby MorpheusPA » May 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

It'll wash in, and if you can get a consistent coverage application (or at least one that averages out to consistent over time), that's fine.

I tend to use a lot of water instead, but it all works out in the end after a good rainfall no matter how you do it!
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » May 14th, 2017, 10:41 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 14th, 2017, 11:38 am
It'll wash in, and if you can get a consistent coverage application (or at least one that averages out to consistent over time), that's fine.

I tend to use a lot of water instead, but it all works out in the end after a good rainfall no matter how you do it!
It sounds to me like a hose end sprayer would probably make life easier. That way I can water it in all in the same go. We aren't expecting any rain her for the next two weeks. Have a huge high pressure ridge settling in down here in TN. Welcome to summer weather :/
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » May 14th, 2017, 10:43 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
May 14th, 2017, 11:38 am
Casutherland wrote:
May 14th, 2017, 12:23 am
MorpheusPA wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm
>>Concerning these quart or half gallon jugs of concentrated kelp and HA, are these meant to be used directly on the lawn at the 2 oz/k rate, or are they meant to be used as the kelp and HA "extracts" for the BL Kelp Help plus Humates formula?

Yes. :-) Or, it really doesn't matter, it works both ways.

>>Wow.... I actually just realized that I mixed 2 oz of kelp (by weight), and 4 oz of HA (by weight) in the same half gallon jug last night. Is that batch ruined now?

You're cool. Just use it at 2 oz per thousand and call it application of both the HA and the kelp. I've done this in the past when I've been feelin' lazy and don't want to dual-mix.
Quick question. I have been applying this with a foliage fine mist tip on my hand held sprayer. Should I be using something with a thicker spray to get it down to the soil? Or does it work fine with foliar applications? Basically I am just wetting the grass.

I am mixing 4 oz ea of BLKH and BLSC in 2 gallons of water bi weekly. My yard is only about 2200-2500 sq ft.
I don't think misting is bad but I would prefer to use a more direct spray. My sprayer has a nice wide spray that puts out a good bit of water. This way it gets to the ground and foliar at once.

Where/what SLS did you get? Powder or liquid?
I got the liquid..so when I try to pump the hand held sprayer..it seems to LOVE bubbling up badly..
User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 15933
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Contact:

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby MorpheusPA » May 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm

They all love bubbling up badly. :-) SLS and SLES are what adds massive bubbles to commercial soaps and shampoos.

There's no easy (or really, any) fix for that.
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » May 15th, 2017, 1:51 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
May 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm
They all love bubbling up badly. :-) SLS and SLES are what adds massive bubbles to commercial soaps and shampoos.

There's no easy (or really, any) fix for that.
Hah sure, that makes sense. So do you recommend using the hose end sprayer for application vs the hand held?
User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 15933
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Contact:

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby MorpheusPA » May 15th, 2017, 4:00 pm

I doubt it matters much, really. I use a hose-end, personally, and that way I wash it in as I'm applying it.

I suppose it might have some potential for burning in very hot weather, so that might be a consideration.
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » May 26th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I just purchased a Chapin G362 Professional All Purpose Hose End Sprayer that is being delivered today, and was wondering what setting I need to put it on to apply BLKH and BLSC? Also, how much of each product should I put in the hose end sprayer container?
Charley
Posts: 567
Joined: September 17th, 2013, 11:13 pm
Location: Kentucky
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Charley » May 26th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Molasses seems to act as a defoamer when I combine with shampoo. Maybe adding a couple of ounces more to the spray container would help with the foaming problem. Won't hurt the lawn.

As to volume in container:
Determine how much of the concentrate you want to apply based on the thousand sq ft area. When using a hole end sprayer, I like to have the container contents as diluted as possible so it will pick up more easily. I add water to get to the 32 oz. level. Then multiply the m's in the m sq ft by maybe five gallon per m. divide that total gallons into the 32 oz content. If I were spraying 4,000 sq ft, I would set the sprayer on 1 1/2 oz per gallon of the cup mixture to water flow.
Casutherland
Posts: 316
Joined: July 4th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Grass Type: Tall Fescue / KBG

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby Casutherland » May 28th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Charley wrote:
May 26th, 2017, 5:56 pm
Molasses seems to act as a defoamer when I combine with shampoo. Maybe adding a couple of ounces more to the spray container would help with the foaming problem. Won't hurt the lawn.

As to volume in container:
Determine how much of the concentrate you want to apply based on the thousand sq ft area. When using a hole end sprayer, I like to have the container contents as diluted as possible so it will pick up more easily. I add water to get to the 32 oz. level. Then multiply the m's in the m sq ft by maybe five gallon per m. divide that total gallons into the 32 oz content. If I were spraying 4,000 sq ft, I would set the sprayer on 1 1/2 oz per gallon of the cup mixture to water flow.
Ok I suck at math lol. So I have 2500 sq ft to apply the BLKH and BLSC to. I am assuming I need to use 4.5 ounces of both into the hose end sprayer and turn the tablespoons per gallon to 1.5?
User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 15933
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Contact:

Re: Kelp Help / Soil Conditioner Question For Small Lawn

Postby MorpheusPA » May 29th, 2017, 1:35 am

I have that sprayer! I have a little trouble handling it, given the very flat spray, but it's workable. And as I said, being all that exact isn't important if it averages out over time.

Really, it depends on your hose pressure, walking speed, and how thick the kelp got in the jug. :-)

Off the cuff, I'd say start with about 4.5 oz, and set it to 1.5 Tbsp/gal as you suggested. Adjust as necessary--and I think that setting is going to go up.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest