Corn Meal in Indiana

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
guisertj
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Corn Meal in Indiana

Post by guisertj » June 14th, 2017, 9:43 am

Want to start using corn meal for both anti-fungal and to begin to help with organic matter and grow the herd. Problem I am having is I can't find any corn meal. I am in Northern Indiana but travel throughout the state for work. I have contacted all local feed/ag and even agricor in Marion IN for guidance. I am getting nowhere. Turning to the boards to see if any Indiana members may be able to point me in the right direction.

Also, I know I could buy on the internet, but it doesn't seem cost effective when factoring in shipping.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Re: Corn Meal in Indiana

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 14th, 2017, 10:38 am

Way back when there were people from eastern Indiana reporting they could buy 100 pounds of corn GLUTEN meal for the unheard of, low, low price of under $10. Inasmuch as CGM is a much better fertilizer than corn meal, you should look for that. At the same time they reported not being able to find corn meal. I don't know why I can get corn meal anywhere in South Texas and you can't get corn meal in the corn belt. CGM does not have the same antifungal properties as ordinary corn meal. Cracked corn works as well as corn meal, but you will get the occasional corn plant from cracked corn. One mowing and it should die out. Another alternative is to buy corn flour at a Mexican market or grocery store catering to Hispanics. It comes in 25-pound bags for about $7. Be sure to get plain corn and not the one that is essentially a premix tortilla product with baking soda and powder. The bags are almost identical to each other.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 14th, 2017, 11:10 am

They don't have it @ Tractor Supply or Rural King?

Cracked corn is easy - Menards, Tractor Supply, Rural King - look in the bird seed aisle.

Also - maybe check out Worm's Way?

guisertj
Level: Some Experience

Post by guisertj » June 14th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Cracked corn, no problem. Just thought applications of corn meal would break down quicker.

cmcgill
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by cmcgill » June 15th, 2017, 7:31 am

Rural King has the best prices on alfalfa (10/40) and cracked corn (7/50) that I can find. Some places have said they will order things and bring them in so you might check that. I know Wanamaker Feed & Seed will bring it in for a special order. You might check Crossroads Feed Barn also. I'm going down to Umbargers for SBM (15/50) here in a week or so. My problem is that I need so much since I'm covering around 25,000 sq ft. And I have a budget, lol. And I don't have a truck...

Hope that helps some. I'm open to suggestions too!