Milorganite Frequency

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Roland
Posts: 10
Joined: July 18th, 2017, 2:48 pm
Location: Northern New Jersey
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue Grass

Milorganite Frequency

Postby Roland » July 18th, 2017, 4:07 pm

Good Afternoon,

I've got what I think is a Kentucky Blue Grass Yard. I'd like to have a very thick yard and was considering putting down 1 36lb bag per 2500 sqft once a month from spring through September. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Will this accomplish my goal?


Thank you,

Roland
Fronta1
Posts: 87
Joined: June 14th, 2017, 3:29 am
Location: Michigan city, in
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby Fronta1 » July 18th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Hold off on dropping milo in late June through late August unless you are going to irrigate. Continue application once summer begins to retreat until a few weeks before first frost.
User avatar
PSU4ME
Posts: 501
Joined: November 29th, 2016, 9:29 am
Location: Central MA
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby PSU4ME » July 19th, 2017, 8:07 am

Milorganite can be a piece of a larger program to get your grass thriving but by itself would be a little tough.

Things like weed control, soil test, soil amendments, proper cutting and watering along with proper fertilization are all pieces that when done correctly give you your best shot at a desirable lawn.

Join the club, we are all trying for that!!
RockinMyLawn
Posts: 409
Joined: May 20th, 2015, 2:15 pm
Location: Central VA
Grass Type: Fescue

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby RockinMyLawn » July 19th, 2017, 10:49 am

If one doesn't lay down any Milo during the June-Aug time frame : How does Milo fit in to the fall programs for overseeding & urea Nitrogen Fert & Urea Winterization.
Fronta1
Posts: 87
Joined: June 14th, 2017, 3:29 am
Location: Michigan city, in
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby Fronta1 » July 19th, 2017, 1:05 pm

You can apply up to 2lb/k per month of total n not exceeding 1lb of quick release. Quick release is really only needed for final app, after growth stops. Bag rate of milorganite applies about 3/4lb/k of n. You can choose to mix sr and qr apps of n throughout the year as long as you follow the above guidelines.

User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 25328
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: Central Valley, NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem/Bewitched KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby andy10917 » July 19th, 2017, 7:40 pm

I think some of the above is a bit overstated. There is no need to hold off on Milorganite in the late June - late August timeframe. It's a good idea, however, to take it easy and not push the grass in a period where growth is pretty slow -- unless you're willing to back up the growth with nice quantities of water. Moderation is a good watchword in Summer.
RockinMyLawn
Posts: 409
Joined: May 20th, 2015, 2:15 pm
Location: Central VA
Grass Type: Fescue

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby RockinMyLawn » July 20th, 2017, 1:20 pm

andy10917 wrote:
July 19th, 2017, 7:40 pm
I think some of the above is a bit overstated. There is no need to hold off on Milorganite in the late June - late August timeframe. It's a good idea, however, to take it easy and not push the grass in a period where growth is pretty slow -- unless you're willing to back up the growth with nice quantities of water. Moderation is a good watchword in Summer.
Any difference with above advice for Transition zone?

I haven't fertilized since May with a 10-10-10 fert. Would like to feed the lawn a bit.
Was thinking bag rate in the middle of July only. I irrigate @ least 2-3 times a week for my 1.5" per zone.
But I'm also further down the east coast vs. the OP.
User avatar
Jackpine
Posts: 1072
Joined: October 28th, 2011, 6:02 pm
Location: Antrim County, Michigan
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby Jackpine » July 21st, 2017, 8:40 am

Roland wrote:
July 18th, 2017, 4:07 pm
Good Afternoon,

I've got what I think is a Kentucky Blue Grass Yard. I'd like to have a very thick yard and was considering putting down 1 36lb bag per 2500 sqft once a month from spring through September. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Will this accomplish my goal?


Thank you,

Roland
Roland

As pointed out, Milo monthly (with sufficient irrigation in July/Aug) is fine but won't accomplish your goal. If you really want your lawn thicken, late summer through fall is the prime time to get it in shape. Regular feedings starting around mid August are the key to a nice lawn the following year.
STL
Posts: 313
Joined: August 30th, 2016, 2:01 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Milorganite Frequency

Postby STL » July 21st, 2017, 12:15 pm

RockinMyLawn wrote:
July 20th, 2017, 1:20 pm
andy10917 wrote:
July 19th, 2017, 7:40 pm
I think some of the above is a bit overstated. There is no need to hold off on Milorganite in the late June - late August timeframe. It's a good idea, however, to take it easy and not push the grass in a period where growth is pretty slow -- unless you're willing to back up the growth with nice quantities of water. Moderation is a good watchword in Summer.
Any difference with above advice for Transition zone?

I haven't fertilized since May with a 10-10-10 fert. Would like to feed the lawn a bit.
Was thinking bag rate in the middle of July only. I irrigate @ least 2-3 times a week for my 1.5" per zone.
But I'm also further down the east coast vs. the OP.
Tougher call on the transition zone. For example, it's super hot here in Missouri with over a week of triple digits or close to it, so I'm not putting anything down that could push growth until probably August, but will reevaluate then too. There is some recent guidance/opinions on milo and grains in the "how bout it transition zone" thread.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest