Lat Summer and Fall Fertilizer Options

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Pdrizzle
Grass Type: Kentucky, Rye, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Lat Summer and Fall Fertilizer Options

Post by Pdrizzle » July 24th, 2017, 12:57 pm

What schedule should I be following for organic fertilizers? I've decided on applying alfalfa (I can get it for a good price at a location near my house) as my primary fertilizer. Should I apply some in the late summer and another application in the fall (November) before the first heavy frost? Or should I just do the one application in the fall?

Fronta1
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Re: Lat Summer and Fall Fertilizer Options

Post by Fronta1 » July 24th, 2017, 5:39 pm

You can do as much organic as your budget allows. Go crazy. You ought to consider doing a quick release app once the grass stops growing and before the ground freezes at 1lb per 1k sq ft.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » July 24th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » July 25th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Fronta1 wrote:
July 24th, 2017, 5:39 pm
You can do as much organic as your budget allows. Go crazy. You ought to consider doing a quick release app once the grass stops growing and before the ground freezes at 1lb per 1k sq ft.
Can you give me an example of a quick release application? Also, what is the purpose of this? Is it to allow for a quick green up in the spring?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate learning from the organic lawn care elders/sisters of this forum.

Fronta1
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Post by Fronta1 » July 25th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Anything that's water soluble, like urea or blood meal. The purpose is the grass takes up a lot of nutrients at that time of year to harden off for winter and store for growth next spring.

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » July 26th, 2017, 9:36 am

If you haven't already, read this viewtopic.php?forum_uri=northern&t=15109&start=. It outlines the fall fertilization recommendations. You can do the less aggressive option with organics. Perhaps consider a sort of hybrid program for the last feeding of the year with urea.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 17th, 2017, 1:43 pm

When I first started with organics I was using only corn meal. As it turns out corn meal is near the bottom of the list of grain (nitrogen) protein content. And I was using a paltry 10 pounds of that per 1,000 square feet. I applied corn meal on Washington's Birthday. I watched as the St Augustine improved and then turned yellow. By Memorial Day it really needed another dose. I waited until it yellowed again and applied on July 4th. Waited and applied on Labor Day. Waited and applied on Thanksgiving. So based on that I came up with the Federal Holiday Schedule for organic fertilizer. Now, 15 years later, I realize I should have been using 15 to 20 pounds of corn meal. I believe the FHS is still a good schedule, but with 15 pounds the grass would probably not go yellow on me. I'm really much better about writing about this hobby than I am performing the hobby. With more effective fertilizers you could easily use 15 pounds per 1,000 and get good results with that general schedule. I just found the holidays much more easy to remember than some date plucked from my calendar.

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » August 31st, 2017, 3:11 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
August 17th, 2017, 1:43 pm
When I first started with organics I was using only corn meal. As it turns out corn meal is near the bottom of the list of grain (nitrogen) protein content. And I was using a paltry 10 pounds of that per 1,000 square feet. I applied corn meal on Washington's Birthday. I watched as the St Augustine improved and then turned yellow. By Memorial Day it really needed another dose. I waited until it yellowed again and applied on July 4th. Waited and applied on Labor Day. Waited and applied on Thanksgiving. So based on that I came up with the Federal Holiday Schedule for organic fertilizer. Now, 15 years later, I realize I should have been using 15 to 20 pounds of corn meal. I believe the FHS is still a good schedule, but with 15 pounds the grass would probably not go yellow on me. I'm really much better about writing about this hobby than I am performing the hobby. With more effective fertilizers you could easily use 15 pounds per 1,000 and get good results with that general schedule. I just found the holidays much more easy to remember than some date plucked from my calendar.
So do you use a quick release fertilizer like urea in the fall or are you applying only grains at this point. I've applied both MIlorganite and alfalfa pellets to my lawn this summer. I plan on making a couple more applications of alfalfa (easier to get for me than Milorganite plus I like the smell better) in the early fall per the schedule suggested by andy10917. Do you recommend a shot of urea after the top growth has stopped? Usually the end of October in my neck of the woods.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » August 31st, 2017, 7:54 pm

That's what most here use as a winterizer, Urea 46-0-0. Like you said after top growth stops

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » September 3rd, 2017, 10:07 am

You can use grains at pretty much any time. Alfalfa has a natural growth hormone, Triacontanol, so you may want to limit its use to monthly at most. Alfalfa is also among the more expensive grains. Soybean meal is less expensive and has a higher nutrient content and is a popular choice. Commercial organic fertilizers are expensive, but also work. Grains do not work as the final winterizer fertilizer. For that, you want something immediately available like Urea. There are organic (as in OMRI certified and/or from organic sources) Urea fertilizers available, but most are sourced from natural gas. They both are the same organic molecule, but the organic versions are very hard to find and more expensive, so most people just use whatever is inexpensive and locally available.

For a minimal organic program for TTTF, I would recommend a single application of fertilizer in the spring, and 2-3 applications in the fall with the final application being a Urea winterizer. Alfalfa is fine for all but the last application. Alfalfa meal has an NPK equivalent of about 3-1-2, so you would apply 30 lbs/1000 square ft to get the equivalent of 0.9 lb of Nitrogen/k which is close enough to 1 lb/k of Nitrogen.

Pdrizzle

Post by Pdrizzle » September 5th, 2017, 8:01 pm

All right Urea it is...thanks for the response.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 27th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Yeah, to answer your question, I don't use any urea. I do use the heck out of alfalfa pellets. I've never seen any of the issues mentioned regarding the growth hormone. Also alfalfa is dirt cheap in my area. It's about twice the price of corn but still 1/3 the price of soybean meal. Shipping makes all the difference in price. Soybean meal is about $1/pound in South Texas.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 27th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I've never seen any of the issues mentioned regarding the growth hormone.
You wouldn't see issues per se. Triacontanol has a bell-curve shaped application rate chart. After you reach the top of the curve, adding more actually makes it less effective.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 3rd, 2017, 11:33 am

Hi Andy. Can you clarify that a little? Is it the triacontanol that becomes less effective? As in the grass grows less and less fast the more you apply (after reaching peak triacontanol (PT))? If that's the case, I don't see the problem using it.