This might be a stupid idea... (BLSC and alfalfa pellets)

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
chrispitude
Grass Type: northern/tall fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

This might be a stupid idea... (BLSC and alfalfa pellets)

Post by chrispitude » August 3rd, 2017, 10:16 am

Okay, this might be a stupid idea...

but could you spray or soak alfalfa pellets with BLSC in some manner, so that it is absorbed into the pellet and becomes time-release across multiple rain events? This might allow more of it to soak into the soil. On my property, the soil saturates within minutes and the runoff goes down-grade and off-property.

If the dried pellets remain intact, they could be spread on the lawn with a drop-spreader. But for all I know, the alfalfa pellets would mush up immediately upon treatment with the BLSC. I don't have my BLSC ingredients here (yet) nor do I have alfalfa pellets, so I can't try it out yet.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: This might be a stupid idea... (BLSC and alfalfa pellets)

Post by TimmyG » August 3rd, 2017, 12:48 pm

chrispitude wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:16 am
But for all I know, the alfalfa pellets would mush up immediately upon treatment with the BLSC.
^ I assume this.

You're worried about runoff when applying BLSC? That's not remotely a concern given the amount of water applied unless your soil is literally a shelf of bedrock. Just apply it as usual, let it do its thing, and your runoff issue should improve.

chrispitude
Grass Type: northern/tall fescue

Post by chrispitude » August 3rd, 2017, 1:47 pm

There goes my shot at ATY fame and fortune. :(

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 4th, 2017, 10:20 am

+1 TimmyG. It wouldn't slow release the BLSC any more than just spraying it on (more solid) soil.

With easily saturated soil (it probably has a clay or silt lens lower down that blocks infiltration?), I'd apply BLSC when the soil is dry. That'll give it maximum penetrance and reduce the amount running off.

LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by LTCM » August 19th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I'm not even sure I completely agree that time-release is prefered. BLSC isn't a salt based nutrient. If your lawn needs it go out and apply it at rates beyond the recipe. It's pretty innocent stuff - I've gone up to 5x what the website says with no ill consequences.

Then again, I've been know to apply SC and KH in the same manner as micros, so I don't think of ATY as a rule book.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » August 19th, 2017, 12:55 pm

LTCM wrote:
August 19th, 2017, 12:20 pm
Then again, I've been know to apply SC and KH in the same manner as micros, so I don't think of ATY as a rule book.
That thought crossed my mind the other day when i was applying my milo+micro app - atleast the SC part.

I swear i read somewhere that the KH also provides benefit as a foliar app. If applied the KH in a milo carier, i'd think that it would only be helping the soil. Helping the soil IS of course the intended purpose of the KH, but I don't mind milking every bit of benefit i can out of my apps even if the foliar benefits of the KH are slight at best. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Just my thoughts. I'm glad i wasn't alone in considering the combined app possibility (whether or not it's a good idea heh) :good: