BLSC newbie questions

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Scrufyb
Grass Type: Tall fescue bluegrass mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

BLSC newbie questions

Post by Scrufyb » October 2nd, 2017, 10:21 pm

Hi, I’m new to this site and found it today looking for ways to help with a hard packed clay yard I’m starting from scratch (posted questions about that in Reno forum). I’ll continue reading and searching past post but for expediency can someone answer a few questions.

1. How does homemade BLSC work compared to commercial products like aerify plus?

2. Why can’t, could I just use baby shampoo/dish soap like mentioned other places on the internet?

3. Is there a difference between sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, and sodium lauryl sulfoacetate?

I hope I’m not bothering anybody if these questions have been covered already, I didn’t get any work done today reading this site ;) and am trying to get something going for this weekend when I’m rushing to get some seed down by (see reno post).

Experts feel free to hit me with as much info as you want, I’m really enjoying reading up on this new to me topic.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: BLSC newbie questions

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 17th, 2017, 1:11 pm

BLSC was created to save money over products like Cascade Plus and Aerify. My only issue with BLSC is you end up with a lifetime supply of something you'll rarely need, and then you have to store it somewhere. For a dollar at Dollar Tree I can get something sweet smelling and has the same effectiveness when applied at 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. Using shampoo is also discussed in these forums but not as frequently as the BLSC.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » October 17th, 2017, 3:14 pm

My biggest regret is using crappy landscaper grass seed about 10 years ago. It was loaded with weed and other crop seed. For all the time and effort we spend on our lawns the cost of sod quality seed with zero weed and other crop is insignificant. I'll never use poor quality seed again.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » October 17th, 2017, 5:21 pm

^Seems like a great post for a different thread! ;-)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

1. How does homemade BLSC work compared to commercial products like aerify plus?

About the same, all things considered. It's just a tenth the price...or less.

2. Why can’t, could I just use baby shampoo/dish soap like mentioned other places on the internet?

You can. It's not as adaptable in terms of concentration (you get what you get in the bottle and that's that), and it's far more expensive per use than starting with the base chemicals and working from there, but it'll work just fine.

To keep it cheap, make sure to use bulk bargain brand, store brand or no-name brand baby or dish soap. Dish soap shouldn't have an antibacterial in it.

3. Is there a difference between sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, and sodium lauryl sulfoacetate?

Yes, and I won't bore you with it. While any of the three can be used, I'd recommend the first two since you'll more commonly find them. You can also use the ammonium analogs (ALS and ALES as opposed to SLS and SLES). Potassium lauryl sulfate and PLES are also just fine. Baby shampoo uses alternate surfactants, but those are also fine.