Purely Organic Lawn Food

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
PA Lawn Guy
Grass Type: TTTF/PR/KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Purely Organic Lawn Food

Post by PA Lawn Guy » January 13th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Anyone here know this product?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Purely-Orga ... /204279747

Seems readily available and might be decently priced - not sure how it stacks up against Safer Restore II or Scott's Natural, etc.?

No affiliation, just deciding if I might try to use it in 2018...

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Purely Organic Lawn Food

Post by bpgreen » January 14th, 2018, 11:55 pm

I've never used it, but I did some googling about it and it looks like it's mostly dried distillers grains and soybean meal.

The distillers grains are a byproduct of making alcohol (home brewers produce a similar by-product that is usually called spent grain). For home brewers, the grains used are mostly barley (and maybe some wheat). For distillers, the grains are most likely corn. In both cases, the grain is mashed to turn starch into sugar, and the sugars are rinsed off, leaving the protein and things like unconvertible starches, like fiber.

A lot of people here use Soybean Meal (usually abbreviated as SBM) on their lawns. It's available at feed stores. I don't know how the price of SBM compares with the price of the product you're looking at, but my guess is that it's probably a lot cheaper. If the product you're looking at is cheaper (or it's convenient enough that the price difference is acceptable), I'd say go with it. If you can get SBM more cheaply and conveniently enough, I'd go with that. If you know some home brewers who do all-grain or partial mash brewing, they'd probably be happy to give you their spent grains (I eat mine or turn them into dog treats, but most brewers end up throwing theirs away) and you could use those to supplement your SBM applications. You don't need to dry them out, but they'd be easier to spread if they're dry.

As far as comparing them with other commercially available organic lawn fertilizers, some will include things like feather meal, which is an EXTREMELY slow release fertilizer. Some will include biosolids or animal manures. I'm not saying any of these are better or worse than any others.

The product you linked looks like it will do a good job, but if you can get SBM cheaply, since that's a main ingredient in that product, you may want to consider using SBM instead.

PA Lawn Guy
Grass Type: TTTF/PR/KBG

Post by PA Lawn Guy » January 15th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Awesome info, thank you!

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » March 21st, 2018, 9:03 am

Ringer also uses the grains, so that’s good. Ringer is 10-0-6 and that one you linked is 10-0-2, fwiw. Looks like ringer is $10 more per bag.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Level: Some Experience

Post by Chris LI » April 28th, 2018, 9:41 am

FYI-I decided to try a bag and bought one for $18.63 from HD.com for delivery to the store. If it delivers similar results at Lawn Restore II, it's a home run because the best price I've seen this year for LR is $36 for the same 25 lb. bag. I live in a suburban area and the few farm/feed stores are pricey, and I haven't been able to find SBM.

I maintain a couple of ballfields at work and have been looking for some more organics to incorporate into my regimen and am purchasing a pallet from their commercial division, to try this year. If I observe desirable results, I'll post them.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 4th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Here are your feed stores. Start calling around. Ask for both SBM and for alfalfa pellets (or meal). Alfalfa pellets are also called Rabbit Chow by Purina. Rabbits are everywhere, so you should be able to find that. Cost should be between $8 and $12 for 50 pounds this year. Meal is easier to apply if you can find that. I can't get SBM in South Texas and when I find it, it's $30 for 30 pounds, so NO!

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » June 14th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Thank you for the info, David. I just dropped some alfalfa pellets 6 days ago (of course all the rain we had been getting stopped like someone turned off the faucet). Just as the SBM is pricy for you, alfalfa pellets are pricey for me. I went to a couple of feed stores and bought a 50 lb. bag at each. I felt bad asking the guy at the first store to slice open the bag to check the pellet size, so I agreed to take a bag before asking the price, which was $25.99. I found another store that was $18.99 per bag and purchased it, since I needed 2 bags to drop. I'm not sure if I will purchase it again at those prices.

I have not used the Purely Organics 10-0-2 yet, but plan on dropping it soon (probably at work before I drop some at home) will post an update.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » July 12th, 2018, 12:50 am

I dropped the 10-0-2 on Monday at bag rate (.5 lb. of N) after a mow and have been watering the last three days. I'll update when I see some results.

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » July 23rd, 2018, 1:31 am

It's been almost two weeks since the application. With the supplemental irrigation and some natural rainfall, has recovered. Now I just need to mow it. :shock:

dx8
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by dx8 » August 14th, 2018, 8:58 am

Chris,
Based on your lawn results, how do you rate Purely Organics?
Thnx

Chris LI

Post by Chris LI » August 16th, 2018, 12:36 am

For only one application, I give it a very good rating. I have not applied anything since the drop on 7/9 and still have good color and density 5 weeks later, considering it's the dog days of summer.

I do not have accessibility to organic grains (SBM, alfalfa pellets, etc.) a decent price in my area, so POP 10-0-2 is a great alternative at a reasonable price. Additionally, it's much cheaper than Ringer Lawn Restore II, which I like and have used previously.

I will definitely purchase additional POP in the future.