Alternatives to Sustane?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Alternatives to Sustane?

Post by Green » March 29th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Anyone know of a product that's a good alternative to Sustane? I'm looking for something similar that's more readily available and maybe more cost effective. I will definitely be using Sustane this year, but SiteOne is stocking less of it lately, and the price keeps going up each year.

I'm not into grains or the like, and I don't handle SBM due to a sensitivity, so I'm looking for another commercial product. I don't consider Milo to be a replacement for Sustane, either...just saying.

Thanks!

merrimack
Grass Type: Midnight, Award, Bewitched KBG

Re: Alternatives to Sustane?

Post by merrimack » April 5th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Which version of Sustane do you typically use?

I have used Fertrell Feed-n-Grow (3-2-3) in the vegetable garden and have been happy with the results. It may not be a good option if you a peanut sensitivity. Blue Seal Safe 'n Simple is another commercial product but it is expensive. Composted poultry manure or feather meal are also worth considering.

Is Milorganite missing a component you are looking for? I do not like using biosolids on the vegetable garden, but I think it is the best bang for my buck on my lawn.

Green

Post by Green » April 6th, 2018, 12:14 am

merrimack wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 9:51 pm
Which version of Sustane do you typically use?

Is Milorganite missing a component you are looking for?
Whatever I can get my hands my hands on as long as it's mostly slow release N. In the past, I've used 4-6-4, 5-2-4, or 8-2-4.

Yeah, Milorganite produces a totally different response, with more rapid growth. That's why I use half Milo and half Sustane in the Spring. The Sustane seems to last through the Summer if I apply it in early or mid June, without any surge growth.

I have never heard of the products you mentioned. Where do you personally get those and how much do they tend to cost you? For comparison, Sustane 5-2-4 is over $50 for a 50-lb bag.

Before I used Sustane, I used the Scotts Organic, but it's nowhere to be found in CT anymore. For some reason, a handful of states banned it a few years ago. After that, I found Sustane and switched to it since it was relatively similar.

Green

Post by Green » April 6th, 2018, 12:24 am

Also, I'm not too sure about those two after looking them up, as it looks like one has blood meal and the other has peanut. I have no issue with peanut, personally, except for what I think might be an extremely minor allergy (I eat peanut butter, but try to keep it to a minimum) but I'd still rather not take the chance, because other people might have a real sensitivity to it, and I'd hate to have a neighborhood kid have a reaction because they were in the lawn. As far as blood meal, I don't think I want to handle it or use it. Also, looks like one of them has soy, which is a deal breaker. Thanks for the info, though!

merrimack

Post by merrimack » April 6th, 2018, 9:21 pm

I get the Safe 'N Simple Lawn Food 6-2-4 at a small farm supply store near me in New Hampshire. Their recent flyer has price of $25 for a 50 pound bag. You can also get it at Blue Seal stores. I got a five pound bag of the Fertrell 3-2-3 from Fedco Seeds for about $8. The 50 pound bag is $45, but would probably be considerably more expensive when you include shipping. Corn Gluten meal is another more expensive alternative. The farm supply store carries that at $45 for a 50 pound bag.

I pickup soybean meal whenever I see it. I got a few 50 pound bags for $20 each last summer. For the past few years I have used Milorganite, Safe 'N Simple, and SBM. I think SBM works really well, and the main drawbacks are the smell and if you have a sensitivity.

If you find something that meets your needs and is reasonably priced, please let me know. I am always looking for different things to try.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » April 6th, 2018, 10:04 pm

merrimack, which small farm supply store?

Green

Post by Green » April 6th, 2018, 11:08 pm

Thanks. Never heard of Blue Seal.

I know there are lots of packaged organic fertilizers around; I'm just not familiar with most of them. Hoping this thread will result in a good listing.

merrimack

Post by merrimack » April 8th, 2018, 7:31 am

TimmyG wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 10:04 pm
Nashua Farmers Exchange

Green

Post by Green » April 8th, 2018, 8:47 pm

I found a bunch of 50-lb organic fertilizers for like $20 each that seem relatively similar to Sustane on 7 Springs Farm website (composted chicken manure instead of litter like Sustane uses, but that might actually be even better). The real question is how much shipping to CT would cost. If shipping is over $30 per bag, it probably would be less cost effective than buying Sustane locally. I'll have to call them and ask.

Anyone know how Chicken/Turkey litter differs from manure in terms of fertilizer value?

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » April 8th, 2018, 9:04 pm

merrimack wrote:
April 8th, 2018, 7:31 am
TimmyG wrote:
Nashua Farmers Exchange
Thanks! I don't think I've run across them before. I'll have to check to them out. We frequent Dodge Grain in Salem, NH, both for the lawn and the chickens.

merrimack

Post by merrimack » April 9th, 2018, 8:59 pm

TimmyG wrote:
April 8th, 2018, 9:04 pm
merrimack wrote:
April 8th, 2018, 7:31 am
TimmyG wrote:
Nashua Farmers Exchange
Thanks! I don't think I've run across them before. I'll have to check to them out. We frequent Dodge Grain in Salem, NH, both for the lawn and the chickens.
You are welcome. Nashua Farmer's Exchange is much smaller than Dodge Grain but is worth checking out if you are in the area. The people at Nashua Farmer's Exchange are very nice. Have you had any luck at Pete's Grain?

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » April 10th, 2018, 1:26 am

I've only been to Pete's Grain once, and that was recently. My wife had won a gift certificate in a basket raffle. Nothing lawn related caught my eye. They seemed to specialize in pet and farm animal feed and products. We picked up chicken feed. I also didn't notice any straight grains like SBM. Mind you, I was chasing two toddlers around the precarious stock room at the time, so I may have missed something. Prices were high compared to Dodge Grain and Tractor Supply, so I don't expect to go back anytime soon.

Green

Post by Green » June 1st, 2018, 11:20 pm

I finally found what I was looking for. Protene 8-0-4. I will be using it this year instead of Sustane. I actually like the analysis better than Sustane 5-2-4 and even 8-2-4 (more N, less P, and even less fast release N).

lawngonewrong
Grass Type: KBG/HKBG/PRG/CRF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by lawngonewrong » June 30th, 2018, 8:50 am

Green wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 11:20 pm
I finally found what I was looking for. Protene 8-0-4. I will be using it this year instead of Sustane. I actually like the analysis better than Sustane 5-2-4 and even 8-2-4 (more N, less P, and even less fast release N).
I like the looks of Protene, so please share your experiences! What's the $$ damage/bag?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 30th, 2018, 9:15 am

What is it that "Protene 8-0-4" can do that Soybean Meal + SOP can't, other than add a pretty bag to the picture and empty your wallet for the nice bag?

Green

Post by Green » June 30th, 2018, 12:23 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 9:15 am
What is it that "Protene 8-0-4" can do that Soybean Meal + SOP can't, other than add a pretty bag to the picture and empty your wallet for the nice bag?
I'm allergic (actually sensitive) to soy. But the packaged fertilizer also has molasses in it, which is cool. Saves some work.

No, it's not cheap...$40-50 per bag. Similar to Sustane. Yes, I'm splurging on it and consider it a luxury purchase for convenience. I don't do that often. A couple times a year for a product or two.

lawngonewrong
Grass Type: KBG/HKBG/PRG/CRF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by lawngonewrong » June 30th, 2018, 6:45 pm

I'm in MD which almost entirely prohibits application of P in any form. There aren't many feed stores nearby so something like CGM which should be MD legal is maybe $1/pound and either a long drive or meaningful shipping $$$ away. A commercial developed organic fert from a company in the same delicate watershed might, I stress might, make my life easier. Hence my interest in Protene.

As it is, I'm looking at the Planet Organic from HD that was mentioned in another recent thread. Turns out that might be the cheapest way to get SBM here and it does so without any measurable P.

Green

Post by Green » June 30th, 2018, 10:46 pm

I was successfully able to mix my Boron into the 8-0-4 tonight. It's a similar particle size to Milorganite.

Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Spacklerstyle » July 2nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Green wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 10:46 pm
I was successfully able to mix my Boron into the 8-0-4 tonight. It's a similar particle size to Milorganite.
Great read. Thanks for posting last year. I am looking to make the shift to organic (beyond Milo), but have been taken back by how much more expensive it "can" be. What's your experience been with the Protene product? How much are you putting down per K and how often for desired results?

Green

Post by Green » July 3rd, 2019, 12:39 am

Spacklerstyle wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 3:34 pm
What's your experience been with the Protene product? How much are you putting down per K and how often for desired results?
Experience is good. This stuff replaced Sustane for me because the cost of Sustane went up over the years. I consider them interchangeable. Both are slowly breaking down organic, and neither contains soy.

I've been using it once per year at 6.25 lbs/K (0.5 lb N) in the late Spring along with Milorganite for another half pound of N. If I have leftover, I'll consider using it again in late August this year.

There are other simlar products by other companies, too, but I'm not up on them.

I stay away from a lot of synthetic/fast release N in Spring. Personal preference.