Milorganite application frequency

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
ztrips
Grass Type: Falcon IV Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Milorganite application frequency

Post by ztrips » April 23rd, 2018, 11:15 am

In the past I've put down 1/2 bag rate, x8 applications over the year. My logic was that pacing the addition of organics to the soil would help keep everything nice and steady/balanced. Is there an advantage that I am missing by doing 4x at bag rate? Other than possible time savings?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Re: Milorganite application frequency

Post by andy10917 » April 23rd, 2018, 6:31 pm

The steady/balanced approach has merit. I have gone as crazy as 2X bag rate weekly - ummm, let's say the grass grows and is healthy and thick.

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » April 29th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Last year, I tried the 1/2 bag rate using the same logic to "spoon feed" my lawn. I achieved satisfactory results, but not the desired results. It was also difficult for me to stay on a schedule with that frequency. I also conducted an unscientific mini-experiment in three locations in my yard. I sprinkled a high dosage of Vitamin M in a small donut and reapplied about 2-3 times throughout the season. It appears that the microherd processed everything. The visual results were incredible! There was no burn and I can still see a difference as of today. I will be applying at bag rate this year and a little more often as time and the budget allows. I know now why some of our fellow enthusiasts lay it down heavy and often. I just wish True Value would bring back their sale again. They didn't have it last year, but their regular price is $1 less per bag than the big box stores.

ztrips
Grass Type: Falcon IV Tall Fescue

Post by ztrips » April 29th, 2018, 9:54 pm

To clarify, I will end up applying the same total amount of M over the season. Just trying to determine if there is a benefit to 8 applications vs 4.

mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by mitten » April 30th, 2018, 10:10 am

It's slow release so my guess is that doing 8 apps won't be any more successful than doing 4 (given you put down the same amount either way). But that's just my thought. 4 seems a lot easier to manage too so take that into account.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » April 30th, 2018, 10:40 am

A good fraction of Milorganite is water-soluble nitrogen (relatively fast release), so 8 half apps will always provide more consistent feeding for the grass then 4 full apps. Only you can decide if the incremental improvement is worth your time.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 4th, 2018, 6:20 pm

TimmyG, can you find on the label where there is any water soluble nitrogen? I don't see it. The label says it is all dried sludge which is "slow release."

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 4th, 2018, 6:27 pm

I don't think there is an advantage to spreading it out. At the extreme if you have a 150 day growing season, then you would divide up the application into 150 parts and apply that part every day. Would that be advantageous? I can't see how.

If you applied the entire year's worth of Milorganite all at one time, that would be a time saver. The microbes will process the product and hold it until the plants need it. As long as you stay below 80 pounds per 1,000 square feet in one application, you should be good to go. I think 80 pounds is where you might be smothering the grass. Normal for Milorganite is 15 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » May 5th, 2018, 1:57 am

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
May 4th, 2018, 6:20 pm
TimmyG, can you find on the label where there is any water soluble nitrogen? I don't see it. The label says it is all dried sludge which is "slow release."
Milorganite.com pages such as this and this. And the Guaranteed Analysis should be on the back label of every bag showing the fraction of nitrogen that is WSN vs WIN, such as shown in this thread.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » May 19th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Milorganite has a percentage of water soluble nitrogen. The most recent analysis has it at ~30%. The reality is that it varies based on what is coming into the plant from the waste water. I try to keep the applied water soluble Nitrogen below 1 lb/1000 sq ft to be safe. That is still 2-3x the recommended application rate.

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by gordon » May 29th, 2018, 3:48 pm

I don't fully understand water soluble nitrogen...What are the implications of exceeding 1 lb /1000 in your example?

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » May 29th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Think of water soluble as fast release. The nitrogen becomes available very soon after getting wet. It's as simple as that. Too much WSN at once can lead to burning or leaching or both. Google-fu of "water soluble nitrogen" results in this good explanation: Understanding Nitrogen Sources.