Essential oils to control insects?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Essential oils to control insects?

Post by micvog » May 27th, 2018, 7:55 am

We have a lot of "bugs" in our yard that result in multiple bug bites every time the kids play in the yard. The common chemical "solution" seems to be bifenthrin (I would pick up the Ortho Bug Be Gon at HD) but other posts indicate it also negatively impacts beneficial insects.

Is there an advantage to using an "organic" essential-oils-based product? EcoSmart makes a granular product, and HD carries a ready-to-spray product (by Dr. Earth, which is probably what I would apply). Or would essential oils harm beneficial insects just as much?

I try to limit chemical usage but use Prodiamine in the Spring and spot-spray common 3-way weed killers throughout the year. I am trying to balance effectiveness and "kid-friendliness" between the two products.

Thanks.

Spalu001
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Essential oils to control insects?

Post by Spalu001 » May 27th, 2018, 6:34 pm

You can try mosquito barrier which is organic. Or neem oil. Obviously dont spray while bumble bees are active or they may get harmed. I'm huge with spraying stuff that wont harm me or my dog.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Essential oils to control insects?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 1st, 2018, 5:48 pm

You must identify the bugs before spraying stuff. Are you sure they live in the grass? Are you sure it is not grass allergies? I get a horrible rash if I roll around in almost any grass - allergies.