hybrid fertilizers "derived from biosolids"

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

hybrid fertilizers "derived from biosolids"

Post by __JT__ » July 5th, 2018, 9:40 am

I've seen a few urea fertilizers labeled as partly "derived from Biosolids", some say up to 40%. Some have polymer coated urea. It would seem like a good product, but do these type have the same organic benefits, meaning: amending the soil, maintaining soil life ecosystem? I mean, at least "partly".

https://www.lebanonturf.com/Default.asp ... bb05721d86

http://www.turfcaresupply.com/upload/do ... %20GHS.pdf

Going by the weight, it doesn't appear to be just blended in, which is what I might do with Miloganite, to get better throw of a product.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: hybrid fertilizers "derived from biosolids"

Post by MorpheusPA » July 5th, 2018, 10:39 am

While I'd have to poke my nose a lot deeper than I did, the initial (overly simple) answer is "no."

With nitrogen levels of 25%, soil carbon should, on average, be consumed when you apply this. That level is even higher than the 9 to 1 ratio used in bacterial mass.

My initial reaction is to assume it might do less carbon reducing than other synthetics, but that it really isn't much other than advertising. It's easy enough to derive naturally-created nitrogen compounds that you could make in a factory, and it sounds better, even if they're just as concentrated.

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade

Post by __JT__ » July 5th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Thanks Morpheus!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » July 7th, 2018, 1:08 am

A lot of these fertilizers do simply have Milorganite (or another one of the biosolid products) blended in. The problem I've come across on most of these, is that it's nearly impossible to figure how much of the biosolid product is added in, as most fertilizer analyses don't separately itemize the biosolid portion. Instead, they group the biosolid and slow release Nitrogen sources together, so you can't figure out how many lbs of biosolid are in the bag.

That said, you can only fit so much in a 50-lb bag that already has synthetic N particles in it. My guess is that none of them would have more than half a bag of Milo or OceanGro in them for this reason.

Again, I'm specifically addressing the blended products. Not the homogeneous particle ones.

__JT__

Post by __JT__ » July 10th, 2018, 11:10 am

Thanks. My first impression was that in order to get that higher nitrogen concentration, was that the OM might be converted at the mill.

Then FWIW, I was reading about a method where the bio-solid particle is sprayed with a urea coating.

This one's label is pretty straight forward that the organic material is used as a base, and looks like a good product (50% OM base, feather meal and grains, XCU, and SOP):

http://www.nutrite.com/tech_sheets_en/2 ... ev1411.pdf

But, I guess overall it still isn't a lot of organic nitrogen. More could be had by making a trail mix, or just layering. Altho probably good for professionals who are working on a different scale.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 10th, 2018, 11:56 am

I love marketing departments. "50% XCU® & 50% Organic Base + SOP."

Assuming there's more than 0% SOP (by the numbers, it's a bit over 10% of the mix), that adds to more than one hundred percent. Or, you're giving your lawn 110% :-) Yes, I know what they mean, but still.

I'd be OK with that if you want to use it, with the same caveats...the excess N is going to lead to the bacteria consuming soil carbon for energy, structure, and reproduction. I'm not sure where the net result lies, but it's not as good as simply using an organic in the first place. It's also not as bad as only using synthetics (not that they're really bad, but you get the idea).

Now mind, if one is getting older and hauling the soybean meal isn't quite so much fun any longer...well, it's a good compromise. Or, as you noted, if one is feeding a really big area or one is responsible for multiple properties.