Zeon Zoysia and organics

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
bytore
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Zeon Zoysia and organics

Post by bytore » July 14th, 2018, 2:58 pm

I am an older member under a different username back from when I lived in Ohio many years ago and moved to the DFW area recently. I was all organics with an elite KB blend and loved it.

Now I have 3 year old Zeon Zoysia which has been doing great until this spring. I will leave the issues I am having now for when my soil report comes in next week.

I do have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Zeon is recommended to only receive 2-3 lbs of N per year. Primarily to avoid thatch. So I have been putting down 1 lb. when the grass greens up and again 45 later. And that is it.

If I go organic with my Zeon is it ok to go well and beyond the recommended N of 2-3 lb.'s? If I remember correctly organics help control thatch.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Zeon Zoysia and organics

Post by turf_toes » July 14th, 2018, 3:22 pm

What I know about Zoysia is from knowing the enemy (grass) and knowing how best to kill it.

That said, Zoysia is a low-input grass that thrives with minimal fertilizer. If you increase the fertilization rate, you’ll simply be loving it to death.

The organic part of the question is harder to say because NPK ratings for organic fertilizers are at best a guesss.