Milorganite price hike

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
ztrips
Grass Type: Falcon IV Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Milorganite price hike

Post by ztrips » September 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Looks like my local HD just bumped the 36lbs bags from $12.67 up to $19.24. Ouch. Going to cost me another $75 per application... :banghead:

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Milorganite price hike

Post by PW405 » September 16th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Oh strange, my local HD is still selling them for $13. I changed my store to one in KY and sure enough they are selling same product for $20. Any luck with Walmart, Ace Hardware, etc etc?

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Same here ztrips and unfortunately the HD was the only place locally I could find it.

Wors
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Wors » September 17th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Same here in IA. Lowes still has it for $12.99 but out of stock. Home Depot is $19.24.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » September 17th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Wow.
Should have stocked up... I blame youtube.

ztrips

Post by ztrips » September 20th, 2018, 10:00 am

HD is the ONLY place that carries around here. I found a nursery that is starting to sell it, might try to get a pallet ordered at the beginning of next season.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 20th, 2018, 11:38 am

I could hardly find it this season. And, yes - expensive. Also, the big retailers have gone to storing it over winter rather than selling it. They bring in big pods, load them up, store it, bring it back now.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by seiyafan » September 20th, 2018, 1:12 pm

In the name of economics, what might have caused a shortage of poop for the price hike?

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by HoosierDaddy » September 20th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Ordered online from Jet's (really Walmart). Got a 10+ item discount and they dropped it on my doorstep with free shipping.

Yep 12 bags on my front doorstep. 12 bags of Milo. ~$11 each. On my 3ft by 3ft front porch. In the heat. My wife was NOT happy. "But I got a great deal!" didn't work, even though she uses that on me all the time :D

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

I was able to find some at a HD that was about 25 miles away from my house. They had about a dozen bags left and I bought 4 @ $12.97 since I was in the area today.

It is scarce around here, I can’t find it in my ‘normal’ locations.

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » September 23rd, 2018, 3:25 pm

With the price hike is alfalfa pellets a better investment?

ztrips

Post by ztrips » September 24th, 2018, 7:39 am

So I called and talked with the lawn and garden manager last Monday. Told him how much I usually buy and that I didn't understand why they weren't getting it back in. He checked the system and it sounded like they didn't have it flagged for restocking... Oops. They ordered a pallet Tuesday, it was there Weds. I went Friday and picked up 24 bags at $12.45/ea. They had 12 bags left when I was done and they are showing out of stock again this morning. The price n the website went back up to $19, so I'm guessing that is the default when they are out of stock.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2018, 7:51 am

Big-Box stores store fertilizers and Milorganite outdoors and don't like to have stock over the Winter. Many of the fertilizers and lawn seed are either closed-out or allowed to run out of stock over the Winter. Milorganite either had or has a supply problem after switching to a different process earlier this year.

Why you push up the price when you're out of stock is anyone's guess.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by nclawnguy » September 28th, 2018, 4:52 am

Hard to find around here all summer too. Been out of stock at my 3 local lowes since July.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 28th, 2018, 8:24 am

HoosierDaddy wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Ordered online from Jet's (really Walmart). Got a 10+ item discount and they dropped it on my doorstep with free shipping.

Yep 12 bags on my front doorstep. 12 bags of Milo. ~$11 each. On my 3ft by 3ft front porch. In the heat. My wife was NOT happy. "But I got a great deal!" didn't work, even though she uses that on me all the time :D
That is awesome! Sorry, HoosierMomma!

zachhorn
Grass Type: Tiffway 419 Bermuda

Post by zachhorn » October 7th, 2018, 8:55 am

I can’t find it anywhere and need one more app before mid October (tried Jet and they are out now too - thanks for the suggestion). Any suggestions or recommended alternatives. I need to include micros with my app as well... then call it a season.

Thanks!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 7th, 2018, 9:58 pm

zachhorn wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 8:55 am
I can’t find it anywhere and need one more app before mid October (tried Jet and they are out now too - thanks for the suggestion). Any suggestions or recommended alternatives. I need to include micros with my app as well... then call it a season.

Thanks!
Try Ace or True Value stores (including online ordering), SiteOne, Ewing Irrigation if you have it, local garden centers, HD, Lowes, Walmart...

zachhorn
Grass Type: Tiffway 419 Bermuda

Post by zachhorn » October 7th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Green wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Try Ace or True Value stores (including online ordering), SiteOne, Ewing Irrigation if you have it, local garden centers, HD, Lowes, Walmart...
Thanks! I found some (had to drive 75 miles one way - worth it...)

Chris LI
Grass Type: KBG/NoMix, TTTF/KBG, KBG/FF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by Chris LI » October 8th, 2018, 12:08 pm

It looks like it's flying off the shelf at my HD. I picked up some topsoil on Friday and noticed a wrapped pallet of Milo without a price tag. I looked it up on my HD app and saw the inventory listed as 52 bags at the usual price of $13.47. I just checked again on the app and the inventory is now showing 17 bags. I haven't been in the store today to confirm.

ENVY23
Grass Type: KBG: Midnight, Bluebank, Mazama
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ENVY23 » October 8th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Looks like Milorganite has addressed it on their website:

The Secret’s Out: Milorganite Shortage
Greetings,

I’d first like to thank you for making Milorganite® the fastest growing fertilizer brand in the U.S. Our success is built on over 90 years of producing a highly effective product, counted on by homeowners and golf course superintendents to deliver outstanding results.

Our recent popularity has created temporary product shortages, leaving loyal customers to ask, why can’t you keep up with the growing demand? The answer is that Milorganite® is produced as a result of the wastewater reclamation process (exclusively at our facilities in Milwaukee, Wisconsin), and is dependent on the amount of wastewater coming into our system for treatment. The average annual production yields more than 2,000,000 bags of Milorganite distributed thru a variety of outlets.

As we look to satisfying an ever-growing demand, we look towards numerous strategies to increase units produced, without impacting product quality. These options range from optimizing our processes to increase the overall yield of fertilizer, to working with other reclamation partners to determine if a similar high-quality product can be acquired. Our promise to you is to continue to pursue ways to increase supply, but never offer a lesser product that cannot deliver the results that have been long-standing attributes of our brand.

If you are a homeowner looking for Milorganite, please utilize our store finder tool to locate retailers that may have product in stock. Tip: save time by calling or checking your local retailer’s websites for available bags of Milorganite before making the trip to the store.

If you are a distributor, know that we take every order seriously and will process your orders on a first come, first served basis. And if you are a retailer, please work with your distributor to identify product needs as early as possible to ensure that those buying from you are least impacted by the Milorganite product shortage.

Here’s to Better Results,

Jeff Spence

Director of Sales & Marketing, Milorganite