Is coconut milk beneficial to soil?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Is coconut milk beneficial to soil?

Post by agn015 » October 1st, 2018, 9:30 pm

I have about a half gallon of coconut milk that’s been in the fridge too long so no one will drink it. I know cows milk can be beneficial to soil health when sprayed on the lawn but what about coconut milk?

Google says, “Coconut milk contains lauric acid, antimicrobial lipids and capric acid, which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties” so would it hurt the micro herd? Or injure beneficial fungi?

I’m considering spraying a few test spots as an experiment but would like to hear if anyone has experience or comments to using coconut milk in the lawn.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Is coconut milk beneficial to soil?

Post by MorpheusPA » October 2nd, 2018, 12:24 pm

It's fine. Dilute it down at least fifty-fifty and scatter it around.

It won't work any magic, but it sure won't hurt either, and it'll add a little sugar and a tiny bit of OM for the bacteria to work with.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Level: Experienced

Re: Is coconut milk beneficial to soil?

Post by agn015 » October 2nd, 2018, 3:36 pm

Thanks Morph! That's what I was hoping. I'll probably make my own cocktail and add the coconut milk to some kelp help + molasses.