How Organic is this?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
designedfor1
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

How Organic is this?

Post by designedfor1 » March 8th, 2019, 2:19 pm

https://www.siteone.com/p/503121

I came across this product and looking at the label https://www.siteone.com/pdf/sdsPDF?resourceId=25238, I can't really tell how much is actually sourced from organics. So I'm turning to you all for this bit of information.

Also, other than corn gluten, are there any other per-emergent organic products out there? LAst year I had an explosion of various Spurge and lespedeza... I skipped my normal pre-emergent app (Lesco stonewall) and it was mostly fine until the summer rolled around :shock: .

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: How Organic is this?

Post by bpgreen » March 9th, 2019, 1:30 am

That doesn't look very organic. It lists biosolids, but as the last ingredient, which means it's the smallest in quantity.

As far as I know, corn gluten meal is the only organic pre emergent. I've never used it, but from what I've read, as a pre emergent, it's a really good fertilizer.

The studies that were done with it used massive amounts in order to get pre emergent effects. If I remember correctly, weather conditions had to be fairly optimal, as well.

I've never used it or shopped for it, but I've read that it's pretty expensive if bought as cattle feed, but much more expensive if bought as pre emergent (due to patent or licensing fees paid to Iowa State University, where the pre emergent research was done).

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 12th, 2019, 11:09 am

Here's how you can tell whether it is organic. The label has this...
DERIVED FROM: Polymer Coated Sulfur Coated Urea, Urea, Ammonium Sulfate, Monoammonium Phosphate, Muriate of Potash, Iron Oxysulfate, Biosolids.
Urea is an organic chemical; however, it is made from natural gas and so is not considered to be organic by the OMRI. Urea is a fast release type of nitrogen and can easily burn the lawn if used in high amounts. In this case, most of the urea is coated in either sulfur or a slow melting polymer so as to release the chemical more slowly. If your lawn is not being inspected by the USDA for 'organicity,' then you can call this an organic ingredient if you want. Then we get to the rest of the stuff. Ammonium sulfate is pure chemicals and looks like rock salt. The same goes for monoammonium phosphate. Muriate of potash is another name for potassium chloride - chemicals. The iron stuff is chemicals. Basically if you don't recognize any biological components like soybeans, corn, alfalfa, or poultry litter as the leading ingredients, then it is not going to be organic. Most commercially bagged organic fertilizers contain some basic grains and then add potassium sulfate (or sulfate of potash) to bring in a little more potassium. I just avoid the commercially bagged ferts and go with straight grains from the feed store.

designedfor1
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by designedfor1 » March 12th, 2019, 11:44 am

Thanks a lot guys! I didn't think it was, but I wanted to see how chemical driven it was, and it's even more than I thought. I will pass on it, and stick with soybeans, corn, alfalfa, or poultry litter for my source of nitrogen.

One follow up question, if I remember correctly, weed seeds can stay in soil for years before they die, is that correct? I want to prohibit the most weeds, but after seeing what happened last year, I feel tempted to use a chem pre-emergent until most weed seeds would be gone.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 12th, 2019, 6:05 pm

You'd have to wait a long time -- a University determined that some weeds can stay ungerminated for up to 70 years.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » March 12th, 2019, 6:10 pm

I think many weed seeds remain viable for years.

I could be wrong, but I think that most preemergents don't actually prevent germination. Instead, they prevent the newly germinated roots from getting into the soil. So theoretically, they should become more effective over time as seeds germinate and fail to root.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 15th, 2019, 3:55 pm

One way to get rid of the weed seeds is to germinate them all and then kill the plants that come up. You can usually germinate them by daily watering to keep the seeds moist for 4-5 days. If you want to try and prevent germinating the weeds, then go to deep and infrequent watering all the time knowing that some day, Mother Nature will step in to germinate those seeds for you.

Adadixon
Grass Type: Rye grass

Post by Adadixon » May 3rd, 2019, 2:41 am

Great.