Corn Gluten and Broadleaf Weeds

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
LeeG
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Corn Gluten and Broadleaf Weeds

Post by LeeG » June 21st, 2019, 7:36 am

I live in Massachusetts. I used corn gluten on my lawn for the first time this year, and so far so good. Almost no dandelions, and so far no crab grass. However, it appears to have had no effect on the broadleaf weeds in my yard.

Will this change as I continue to use CG, or is this something I just need to live with?

Thanks in advance.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Corn Gluten and Broadleaf Weeds

Post by turf_toes » June 21st, 2019, 8:34 am

Dandelions are a broad-leafed weed. But I think the efficiency of cornmeal Gluten is not great. It’s mostly hype, in my opinion.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 21st, 2019, 8:48 am

turf_toes wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 8:34 am
Dandelions are a broad-leafed weed. But I think the efficiency of cornmeal Gluten is not great. It’s mostly hype, in my opinion.
Agreed. Not going to hurt anything but.....

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » June 21st, 2019, 2:02 pm

I've never used corn gluten meal. The consensus among those who have seems to be that as a preemergent, it makes a good fertilizer.

The original research that found preemergent qualities used large amounts. If I remember correctly, it translated to about 40 lbs/1000 sq ft. I think it also needed to be used for several years before results started to be achieved. I'm not sure whether people who have tried it used enough or used it long enough to get the results that Iowa State University got. I think that the timing of application and the weather could also have a big impact on efficacy.

Also keep in mind that it won't have any effect on weeds that were already in the lawn. It only stops new weeds from germinating.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I tried it at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet, every month for an entire lawn season and saw no appreciable change in weed pressure. I did; however, have the most beautiful lawn I've ever had.