Question on cat food.

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Question on cat food.

Post by Dargin » June 23rd, 2019, 12:43 pm

I'm making it a priority to treat the micro-herd right this year. I want to incorporate things like corn gluten meal and alfalfa to what Ive already been doing; KH, extra molasses apps, milo/BSF.

I'm wondering about some of the ingredients in this product and hope someone can lend their insight.

As I understand it the vitamins should be fine, but what about the salt and chlorides? Should I steer away from this product for those or any other reasons?

Thanks.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Question on cat food.

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

Have you considered how much cat poo you'll add to the mictoherd when all those curious cats come to the yard for a snack?? 🤣🤣

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 23rd, 2019, 4:45 pm

I wonder if it would blend well with all the bird poo I've been getting? It's been a regular worm buffet, and they always leave a tip. Been more than one occasion when I thought I had powdery mildew from afar. :D

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 23rd, 2019, 8:53 pm

Don't worry about the salt, etc unless you're going to pile the stuff on an inch thick (don't do that more because of the odor).

Here's your bonus, btw: taking the protein and dividing by 7 gives you a rough translation to the Nitrogen value in any product. Now, animal proteins may not translate into usable Nitrogen as well as plant proteins, but to some degree all proteins contain a good amount of Nitrogen. For example, Soybean meal is about 47% protein and translates to almost a 7-0-0 fertilizer. So, the 38% protein like roughly be like a 5.6-0-0 fertilizer.

Of course, if you're looking to feed the microherd and not the cats, you could get the SBM and save some $$$$$. The microherd loves it.

lojack323
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by lojack323 » June 24th, 2019, 12:09 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
June 23rd, 2019, 3:49 pm
Have you considered how much cat poo you'll add to the mictoherd when all those curious cats come to the yard for a snack?? 🤣🤣
My microherd dines on the highest quality cat and opossum poop made from old dog food. Here's a grainy pic from a couple of weeks ago... never seen a cat and opossum chilling that close to each other.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 25th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Nice shot, Lojack!

Thanks for the input. Very cool to know how to figure nitrogen from protein. I guess never having had pets made me not realize the odor issue, or the potential for loss of nutrients due to thievery. ;P

I'm trying to track down SBM and cornmeal locally. No luck with a couple TSC locations. I'm searching out farm feed stores now.