Acornmeal?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Acornmeal?

Post by Dargin » July 3rd, 2019, 7:35 am

I've read through every mention of acorn on ATY, and have done some cursory reading elsewhere. Seems like they're nutritional values can vary quite a bit, but if I understand the broad strokes they seem to have a high carb content, some decent vitamins and minerals (manganese stood out), and not so great on protein.

I'm looking for some fun, and close to free, OM projects.
Has anyone here processed acorns into acorn meal and applied it to soil? Any dangers applying them in that form (speedier uptake)?

I also read that the tannins in acorns can free up greedy calcium cations, creating vacancies for other transients in the speedway that is my massachusetts soil. Not sure if that's a fact, though.

Worth exploring, or move along?

Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Acornmeal?

Post by andy10917 » July 3rd, 2019, 8:01 am

Well, it sounds like a cool, interesting experiment, BUT...

Many moons ago, I made an observation about newly-seeded renovation grass struggling in small areas - and they lined up almost perfectly with the areas that experience heavy acorn drops, especially in mast years. I researched and found there was evidence of oak allelopathy to grasses. I started an experiment to see if water with soaked acorn water affected growth but never followed it to conclusion.

It's interesting, but I'd experiment in a limited area to determine if this is a positive or negative thing.

Some of my discussion and research can be found in a 2009 thread on the site - search for Oak Allelopathy...

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Acornmeal?

Post by Dargin » July 3rd, 2019, 9:05 am

Thanks, Andy. Very fun read. I would like to explore this. Lots of questions popping up, but I need to look up about 40 words from that linked article...