Organics in MA?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Organics in MA?

Post by PSU4ME » December 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am

Hi All,
First snow of the season just hit us here in metro west MA so I won’t be seeing the lawn for a bit so it got me thinking of next year.

I’d like to switch over to more of (not totally) an organic feeding regimen and I was hoping to get some sources.

Today I use Bay State Fertilizer (ma milo) for the spring/summer, pause for a bit in the dead heat then wake it up with more BSF then I go into a weekly urea feeding till “the pause”. I’m going to keep the fall urea but would like to replace the BSF with organics. Reasoning are two fold, hopefully better soil building and ability to feed all summer (not to mention the possibility of nasties in BSF).

My issue is finding stuff at reasonable costs. I have about 30k sqft so finding bulk bags/pallets/pricing is key. I’m less concerned on the type but also have no problem rotating. SBM, CGM, CM, Alfalfa etc.....all good

So the question, does anyone know of a feed store or co-op in the surrounding area that has good, bulk bag pricing? 50lb bags work great and I can do a pallet at a time. I know it’s hard to beat the $3.50 a bag for BSF so I know the price will go up but I was hoping to keep it reasonable.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Organics in MA?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 15th, 2020, 4:00 pm

You'll have to do a little phone work to find availability and price, but HERE'S A MAP AND LIST of feed stores near you.