Liquid Humic Acid rate

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
Irisbergamot
Grass Type: KBG, TTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Liquid Humic Acid rate

Post by Irisbergamot » May 21st, 2021, 3:02 pm

Hey guys

I have 1 litre of 6% liquid humic acid and 1 litre of sea kelp.
How do I dilute this stuff to cover 1000 sqft?
https://www.gardenerspantry.ca/product/humic-acids/

(figure I'll add the water myself than by RGS etc...)

have a great weekend!!!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Liquid Humic Acid rate

Post by MorpheusPA » May 21st, 2021, 4:04 pm

Assuming you used the 65g/L rate, the app rate from the site should apply for the humic acid: "Liquid product: Dilute at rates between 1:10 (100mL per 1L of water) for soil application, and 1:50 (20mL per 1L) or weaker for foliar spraying. Shake well before diluting. If leaves get stained, dilute more."

Personally, for grass, I'd spread the liter across anything from 1,000 square feet to your entire lawn, used at whatever dilution is convenient for you. 65 grams of HA isn't a lot (it's about 2 ounces).

Kelp is a different story, it's less the mass than the biological activity and enhancement via growth hormones. If you bought their concentrate, they recommend 20ml (4 tsp, 2 Tbsp, 2/3 oz) per thousand square feet. I find that to be a bit trim even at the highest concentration, but try it and see if you notice anything.

Next time, there's a place called Kelp4Less that sells kelp powder. You mix that with water, make a gallon, and use that at 2 ounces up to 4 oz per thousand square feet. It's...a lot cheaper.

Irisbergamot
Grass Type: KBG, TTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Irisbergamot » May 21st, 2021, 10:19 pm

Hey thanks Morph

So I’m good to go with 2oz liquid humic in 1 litre.... throw this litre into my ortho dial n spray and just go for a stroll diluting it with the ortho as I go?
And also does this need to be watered in?

Crazy queries I know.

I’m a fan of the article you wrote about BCLS and kelp help.... but I never knew what to do with the leftovers. After I use 6 oz (3000 sqft lawn) I’d have a lot left from the 2 gallon batch. I guess I just need to 1/2 the ingredients.

Thanks for all you do and saving us from spending $ on the same overmarketed products.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 21st, 2021, 11:07 pm

You can save the concentrate. I have about half a gallon left over from last year. Does it smell nice? Absolutely not. Does it still work? Yep. Plus I also have plenty in powder form, it's good indefinitely if stored dry.

You can also mix a lot less. Rather than using X ounces of whatever to mix a gallon, you can use X/4 to mix a quart if you'd rather. It's less to store, and all these recipes double and half easily.

Watering in...if you dilute it a lot, it's probably not necessary. 1 oz per gallon, no. Using it at high concentration, like 16 oz per gallon, I probably would. And in warmer weather (does it ever get warm up there?), I would. We're abnormally hot right now, with highs in the 90's and no rain in sight, so things are already stressed, I wouldn't add to it and would water this in pretty well.