The Milorganite fertilizer on your lawn may contain 'forever chemicals,' a new study finds

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

The Milorganite fertilizer on your lawn may contain 'forever chemicals,' a new study finds

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 3rd, 2021, 10:46 am

Is this anything for us to be concerned about?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/202 ... 453519002/

Sorry if it's already been discussed here. I did a search and didn't see anything though.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: The Milorganite fertilizer on your lawn may contain 'forever chemicals,' a new study finds

Post by turf_toes » June 3rd, 2021, 2:37 pm

It’s been discussed - a lot

The larger issue for you is that these chemicals are everywhere.

Fast food wrappers? Check
Your drinking water? Check
Your own blood? Check

Fact is, it would probably be easier to list the places and products where they haven’t been found.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: The Milorganite fertilizer on your lawn may contain 'forever chemicals,' a new study finds

Post by MorpheusPA » June 3rd, 2021, 2:38 pm

Until they tell us two things--how much of a risk this is and how on fire my hair should be--I'm withholding opinion. At that point, I'll evaluate the data.

Note that the "report" (https://www.sierraclub.org/sludge-garde ... age-sludge) does not use standard scientific wording but does use a lot of scare phrasing.

If you dig into the actual references, you'll finally locate the salient line for Milo and EcoScraps: "2.38 to 7.60 μg/kg for composts that did not include food packaging. Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS) were detected in all composts; however, OFMSW composts were dominated by short-chain PFAAs (>64%) and perfluoroalkyl carboxylates (PFCAs, >68%)"

So my conclusion is obvious.

...Oh, I'm sorry, not everybody can read that? Okey-dokey. :-) Don't grow crops on remediated landfills that had lots of food packaging in them. Also, your food packaging contains this stuff. Um, does that seem like it might be a slightly bigger problem to you than the 2 to 7 parts per billion of short-chain stuff you're putting on your lawn?

Don't get me started on the other conclusions. Please. I'm not in a good mood today.