Mosquitoes Control with garlic.....

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Mosquitoes Control with garlic.....

Post by northeastlawn » June 29th, 2021, 9:43 pm

I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but it is about organic control of Mosquitoes in the yard.

I read somewhere where Disney spays garlic to keep Mosquitoes away. There are a lot of people that spray some kind of garlic spray to keep Mosquitoes away and swear by it.

Has anyone used anything like this, and does it work?

Also can you spray these garlic sprays with your regular lawn sprayer, or do you need special equipment?

I noticed a lot of Mosquitoes while weeding in the shade today, with all the stuff I spray on the lawn, I could probably fit in a Mosquitoe garlic spray every once in a while if it worked.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Mosquitoes Control with garlic.....

Post by MorpheusPA » June 30th, 2021, 6:32 pm

So they say. I haven't tried it, but it wouldn't be the first time something like this works (application of catnip oil will repel most bugs from humans, but one may be inundated by cats). Hence why there's no Tag body spray for Sick Cats.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/c5/fc ... c461ae.gif

You can make your own to test it with the following recipe I found online: "Mince fresh, raw cloves of garlic and cover with mineral oil, then let the mixture sit for 24 hours. After soaking, remove the minced garlic chunks and mix the oil with a water. Strain everything through a cheesecloth and add to a spray bottle."

It seems this is for self-application as a test. I wouldn't mind smelling like garlic bread if it worked.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 5th, 2021, 1:47 am

I wouldn't mess with regular garlic or making your own spray. Just not worth it to me. And very smelly work. I use a ready-to-mix commercial product called Mosquito Barrier. They claim the garlic they use in it is stronger than the culinary type. You can buy it as a concentrate.

hazard209
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, TTTF Mix
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Post by hazard209 » July 12th, 2021, 10:27 pm

I haven't tried garlic, but I did start using a DynaTrap and have had a ton of success with it for mosquitoes. It's essentially a UV bulb and a fan over a mesh container. It maybe worth looking into since it's another non-synthetic/concentrated chemical option.