sod webworms

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
NATHAN MAYO
Grass Type: ST.AUGUSTINE
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

sod webworms

Post by NATHAN MAYO » June 28th, 2009, 9:22 am

Uh-oh! Was walking the property the other day, and there they were.......the little moths flitting in and just over my precious Floratam/ St. Augustine. As I understand it, they are the adults dropping the eggs that will turn into sod webworms............AKA death to grass. Any ideas, my organic pals? In the past this has always been my cue to reach for Sevin or Dursban and let 'em have it, but now I am a green guy, so that is out. What is my lawn's defense from these monsters? I did a search of the forums, but nothing turned up. Am I doomed? nm

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: sod webworms

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 29th, 2009, 6:44 pm

The first thing is to leave them alone. Don't assume the guy next door knows what he's talking about and don't assume you need to do something about them. I've had critters hopping around or hovering or flying around my lawn for 17 years and nothing I've done or not done has made any difference.

The first line of defense if you really do get sod webworms is paper wasps. These are the guys who make nests in your eaves - usually right outside your door. If you leave them alone, they will clear your property of all caterpillars including tomato horn worms. If you get rid of the wasps, then you're on your own. These wasps are not belligerent unless/until you bother them. If you wave your arms around when you see them, that bothers them. If you walk calmly they will not attack you. I've had them in my eaves since 1992 and have not been even close to feeling like I was going to get stung.

Second line of defense is any product with BT in it. Bacillus thurengienses is a disease that only caterpillars can get. I believe it is the Green Light company that makes something called BT Worm Killer. Dust that around as soon as you see the sod webworms or the webs.

NATHAN MAYO
Grass Type: ST.AUGUSTINE
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: sod webworms

Post by NATHAN MAYO » June 30th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Nothing personal, but wasps are not my friends, so I'm putting my money on Bacillus Thuringiensis. You and Wikipedia both make it sound like the ideal solution for this situation. Thank you so much for the tip. Somehow, I don't think the guys at Home Depot or Lowe's could given me this info. I appreciate you.........Now all I have to do is find it. Will check the Web for thuricide..............nm