Want to try Milorganite

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
plynn7
Grass Type: Tall Fescue/KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Want to try Milorganite

Post by plynn7 » April 18th, 2012, 9:03 am

GaryCinChicago thanks for the advice, last year when I shared these pics on another site their view was that, I watered too much and the grass got brown patch, so I applied Heritage G and it did seem to work.I have a sprinkler system that waters that area really well. I was watering about three times a week for 40 minutes at a time (first year with a sprinkler system). So this year I was going to cut it down to once a week at an hour each time.I also have a side srip to the right of that tree on the other side of my driveway and that gets the same amount of sun each day as the main lawn and that area stays green and healthy all summer. I don't doubt that the tree is sucking up what the grass needs, but I have the same size tree in the back yard and it gets less sun then the front and that grass did not look half as bad as the front. I am not questioning waht you are saying, I just get so many opinions it's hard to know what the right thing is to do.Here is a pic of the side strip taken around the same time.

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » April 18th, 2012, 9:46 am

andy10917 wrote:Here's a great, great product for determining the proper amount to irrigate: empty tuna fish cans.

Spread them around the lawn and water for an hour. Then use that information to calculate how long 1" of water would take.
See above

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 18th, 2012, 9:51 am

plynn7 wrote:I just get so many opinions it's hard to know what the right thing is to do.Here is a pic of the side strip taken around the same time.
Point taken, I agree on the opinions. It is hard when we don't know every circumstance.

Those two pictures together, the backyard was obviously much better with the tree being the only difference.

Is the side strip equal to the back yard quality wise?

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » April 18th, 2012, 11:17 am

HanLawn wrote:
andy10917 wrote:Here's a great, great product for determining the proper amount to irrigate: empty tuna fish cans.

Spread them around the lawn and water for an hour. Then use that information to calculate how long 1" of water would take.
See above
I actually did do that at the end of last summer. It took about an hour to get the inch.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » April 18th, 2012, 11:20 am

GaryCinChicago wrote:
plynn7 wrote:I just get so many opinions it's hard to know what the right thing is to do.Here is a pic of the side strip taken around the same time.
Point taken, I agree on the opinions. It is hard when we don't know every circumstance.

Those two pictures together, the backyard was obviously much better with the tree being the only difference.

Is the side strip equal to the back yard quality wise?
Quality wise, if you are asking about the soil I do not know, but the grass was about the same in quality thru out the summer.

ecool
Grass Type: PRG

Post by ecool » April 21st, 2012, 1:39 am

Getting ready to put down Milo for the first time ever. Is it better to put it down before a forecasted rain or doesn't it matter. Hopefully getting some much needed rain here in PA this weekend.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 21st, 2012, 7:18 am

ecool wrote:Getting ready to put down Milo for the first time ever. Is it better to put it down before a forecasted rain or doesn't it matter. Hopefully getting some much needed rain here in PA this weekend.
It doesn't matter, it can sit until the rain comes and I do that all the time. As a general rule, I drop on the first of the month (or close).

I dropped yesterday as I hadn't had time to do April's application, and I was waiting for rain this time. I needed to get my boron down for April and I'd prefer to do that just before rain to minimize any wind issues with removing the very fine and dusty borax. Even post-moistening in, I was worried about that!

But for most organics, you can drop them any time you want, rain or no rain. They won't burn the plants.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » April 21st, 2012, 8:48 am

Logan Labs received my soil sample yesterday, so hopefully I will get the results next week, For today I am off to HD to stock up on some Milo pick up some flowers and work on my flowerbed. Next weekend it will be all about the lawn, once my results are in.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » April 24th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Can someone tell me how to upload my Logan Lab soil test? I just received it via email, but cannot figure out how to load it to this site. When I try to upload the same way as a pic I get an error (No decode delegate for this image format).

xxryu139xx
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Emblem/NuGlade/Bedazzled

Post by xxryu139xx » April 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm

ok open the file. zoom in so that the whole page fits on your monitor. click printscreen. open paintbrush. hit ctrl+v or paste. use the crop tool to crop out only the file. save to jpg format.

goto bestlawn. open a new thread under soil tests and hit postimage and upload the file.

snachs
Grass Type: KBG

Post by snachs » April 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I assume report is PDF? Are you running windows? See if you have a neat tool called "snipping tool"

programs> accessories >snipping tool. Lets you capture any portion of the screen and make jpeg. Make sure to make the report as big on the screen as possible so the resulting jpeg has higher resolution.

plynn7

Post by plynn7 » April 24th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Thanks xxryu139xx, that worked great. It is now posted.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 24th, 2012, 6:40 pm

It's been analyzed already - what is holding you up. Sorry for the 7-minute delay.