Peat Moss or Compost?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Peat Moss or Compost?

Post by crabgrass » April 13th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Useful read for anyone considering top-dressing options. I have no real experience so I found this useful: perrysperennials.info/articles/peatcom.html

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Peat Moss or Compost?

Post by bernstem » April 13th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Good comparison of the two.

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » April 13th, 2012, 3:04 pm

After much experimenting,I have found that what works really well is a blend of 25% peatmoss/75% compost as a topdressing for the lawn.The lighter,dryer peatmoss when mixed with compost creates a nice flowable almost sand like consistancy mixture that is super easy to dump and spread on the lawn- much easier than compost alone,and not inclined to blow away and resist water like when using peatmoss only. 1 3.8 CF compressed peatmoss mixed with 1 yard compost seems about perfect.

crabgrass
Grass Type: Established TTTF/FF mix with some KBG overseeded - Fighting invasive Bermuda.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by crabgrass » April 13th, 2012, 3:15 pm

HanLawn wrote:After much experimenting,I have found that what works really well is a blend of 25% peatmoss/75% compost as a topdressing for the lawn.The lighter,dryer peatmoss when mixed with compost creates a nice flowable almost sand like consistancy mixture that is super easy to dump and spread on the lawn- much easier than compost alone,and not inclined to blow away and resist water like when using peatmoss only. 1 3.8 CF compressed peatmoss mixed with 1 yard compost seems about perfect.
Great tip - thanks! Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking / wondering. Do you spread it with wheel barrow / shovel / rake? Do you ever mix in Milorganite or other?

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » April 13th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I put a big tarp down on driveway and mix the peatmoss into the pile of compost with a shovel,then put small piles all over the lawn and rake with a steel tine leaf rake- generally takes about 1-1.5 hours to do 1000 sq ft of lawn taking your time including drink breaks! Really not to tough of a job on a smaller lawn....on a bigger lawn,you could do it a a few thousand sq ft at a time, or hire a few teenagers to help!

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » April 13th, 2012, 4:50 pm

10k square feet takes me and two other guys about a day and a half to top dress with ~3/4 yard/k of pure finely screened compost.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » June 2nd, 2017, 10:24 am

To what depth should you top dress with peat moss? Is one inch too thick?

STL
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by STL » June 2nd, 2017, 9:23 pm

Try to keep it 1/2 inch or less.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 12th, 2017, 1:14 pm

seiyafan, 1 inch is too much of anything to put on grass. Grass smothers underneath the topdressing.

Why are you using compost, peat moss, or any topdressing in the first place? I have reasons not to, but sometimes someone has a pretty good reason for it. I'm just wondering why you need a topdressing?