Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.

What would you recommend?

Lesco 101186 (80lb,stainless steel, high wheel) + BreakThru Agitator mod
33%
Spyker SPY80-1S Ergo Pro
13%
Earthway F80PSD Flex Select
13%
Shindaiwa RS76S
7%
Other
33%

Total votes: 15

Kuztomized
Grass Type: I don’t know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

Post by Kuztomized » April 22nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Hi all,

First post here. I’m looking to upgrade my push broadcast spreader from a Scott’s Classic (or Standard?) to something better. The small plastic wheels get stuck in divots, the spring trigger fatigues my hand after a while, and the handlebar is too short to push comfortably (even though I am only 5’ 10”). I’m leaning towards something with large pneumatic tires, and made of stainless steel for longevity. I’ve got about 12000 sq ft of actual grass after subtracting the house and driveway. The yard is mostly level with only a few areas having a slight grade. Size and weight is not really an issue, it will be stored in my shed, I won’t be transporting it, and won’t be lifting it while full. It wont be used in the rain, but may be used on a wet lawn. I’m admittedly not very good about cleaning my lawn care equipment each time before putting it away. I’ve been using the Scotts 4-Step for a few years, but I may consider trying out the organic stuff after I’ve had a chance to research more and maybe get a soil test.

After doing a lot of research, I’m considering the following models, but I haven’t come across many recent threads with this exact comparison, so I’m hoping I can get some input from folks who know more about these than I do.

• Lesco 101186 (80lb,stainless steel, high wheel) + BreakThru Agitator mod
  • Spyker SPY80-1S Ergo Pro
  • Earthway F80PSD Flex Select
  • Shindaiwa RS76S
  • others?
I realize these are probably overkill for a regular home owner with ~1/3 acre, but I’ve learned that in most cases it is better to “buy once, cry once” and enjoy it for many years to come. Any input would be much appreciated.

Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

Post by Riverpilot » April 22nd, 2018, 8:42 pm

I've had a Scotts, Earthway (different model) and now the Lesco.

I'd vote for the Lesco, especially if you have a Site One store, or something similar nearby. They'll set everything up for you properly (calibration, etc..) and if you ever have problems, they'll work on it for you. At least my local Site One will.

Kuztomized

Re: Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindawia, others?)

Post by Kuztomized » April 22nd, 2018, 9:39 pm

Thanks for your input. I just did a search and it looks like there is a Site One store about 30-40 mins away from me. That would certainly be a bonus.

Kuztomized

Re: Push broadcast spreader recommendations (Lesco, Spyker, Earthway, Shindaiwa, others?)

Post by Kuztomized » April 23rd, 2018, 9:21 am

Ugh. I misspelled Shindaiwa in the title of the thread, and can’t figure out how to edit it.

I’m open to hearing other opinions or experiences with these spreaders or the companies that make them... reliability, parts availability, customer service, stock features, add-on options, etc.

I forgot to mention in the OP that an edge guard or edge control would be nice, but is not critical. Also, I have no intention of spreading salt or ice melt products. This will be for lawn care only (seed, fertilizer, etc)

mooch91
Grass Type: KBG, PR, TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by mooch91 » April 26th, 2018, 6:52 am

I bought a used Lesco 80 lb stainless steel. I don't feel I will need to do the BreakThru agitator mod. It works well for me on 1.5 acres, much better than the less expensive Earthway I had previously. Paid less than $200 and it was in excellent shape. You'll probably pay $400-500 for a new one, so consider Craigslist and Facebook as sources for used.

Kuztomized

Post by Kuztomized » April 26th, 2018, 9:49 am

Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback. I have been checking Craigslist and Facebook for any stainless steel models, by any of the brands I had listed, but nothing yet. I’ve only found a few with the cheaper powder coated frames.

Babaganoosh
Grass Type: Tall fescue

Post by Babaganoosh » April 26th, 2018, 10:34 am

I've got the shindy and it's head and shoulders above any big box store spreader. However if money was no object I'd get the stainless lesco with the agitator.

I've got about 20k feet of grass and the shindy makes it fun.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » April 27th, 2018, 12:15 am

I would love to get a Scotts/Andersons...but they're like $600-700. Actually cost-effective, if you realize it'll last forever if you take care of it properly, and not have to buy like 10 cheaper spreaders that each cost $100 over the years every time one breaks. Supposed to be even more durable than the Lesco ones, I hear.

Kuztomized

Post by Kuztomized » April 27th, 2018, 12:31 pm

I’m not sure I can justify the ~$300 premium above the Lesco to get the Anderson 2000SR... As far as I can tell, the only difference seems to be that it has a proprietary helical spread mechanism for a more even pattern. Also they say it is calibrated from the factory and includes a calibration key if it falls out of calibration. I watched a video on calibration and it looks super easy, but again is it really worth the extra cost? Also I was reading that Anderson was bought by Earthway, and I’m not sure what the future of Anderson spreaders is going to be (parts, support, etc).

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Level: Some Experience

Post by gordon » May 25th, 2018, 8:49 am

I bought the 80 pound Lesco in Stainless Steel from Rittenhouse a few weeks ago and it is excellent quality. I am not familiar with the Anderson so cannot compare models.

I've used it a few times so far, and it is really nice to be able to load the hopper and head out, without returning for another bag half way thru....plus the pneumatic wheels provide some nice stability unlike my little toy that wanted to flip if you looked at it. I still have to get the agitator upgrade.

Gordon

ctrav
Grass Type: Bermuda tiff 419

Post by ctrav » August 14th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Any luck with the spreader? Every time I go into Lesco for fertilizer I want to get one...

Kuztomized

Post by Kuztomized » August 14th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I went with the Lesco... and so far so good... the quality over my old Scott’s is unreal. The pneumatic tires make a huge difference over my slightly bumpy lawn. Having said that, I’ve only done 2 applications since I bought it, so only time will tell if I made the right choice, but so far I am super happy with it. I just need to find a way to hang it on the ceiling of my shed because it takes up a lot of room.

ctrav

Post by ctrav » August 15th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Good to hear Kuztomized! I have started to look for a used one but no real luck so far. I have an old scotts push spreader but with the new home (bought Oct 2016) there is way too much lawn for the scotts. Plus the scotts was never comfortable to use in my opinion. I do have a Brinley tow behind that works well but there are areas of the lawn that a push would work much better. Congrats again...

az312

Post by az312 » August 21st, 2018, 1:53 pm

Are you able to easily spread small amounts of product? I need a new spreader and was looking at a lesco. Just not sure how easily it’ll spread small amounts of urea per 1000 sq ft.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » August 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm

I have always struggled with spreading Urea until I discovered the Scotts WiZZ. It seems like a toy and the build quality isn't that great, but to spread small quantities for areas under 3,000sf or so its hard to beat. When it breaks just buy a new one when they go one sale each fall for under $20.

Then again I find myself just spreading Urea by hand for small areas, I just weigh it out first, then start throwing it out by hand. Neighbors must think I am feeding the birds :-)

az312

Post by az312 » August 21st, 2018, 10:00 pm

lol if I had a smaller yard that would work great. I’ve got about 16k of lawn so throwing by hand might be a stretch. I’m just trying find a quality spreader to use for milo, cracked corn, urea , and whatever else the lawn needs that will last a long time.

ctrav

Post by ctrav » August 21st, 2018, 10:55 pm

I love the look and feel of the Lesco but $400+ is something to think about...

az312

Post by az312 » August 22nd, 2018, 8:45 am

You are absolutely right. Which is why I was looking at the 92807. Amazon has it for about $265. Plus there’s a siteone close enough to me if I needed to get parts or something.

ctrav

Post by ctrav » August 22nd, 2018, 9:53 am

Just looked up the 92807 and yes its at $265 but I called SiteOne and its $245! I had a concern with the 92807 since its a 50# hoper and almost all the bags of fert I use are 50# so not much play room. SiteOne guy said not an issue and he stated that even with my large lawn it would work well.

This goes on my Xmas list....

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 22nd, 2018, 10:01 am

I gotta say it, and I've been trying not to. I adore my Scotts' EdgeGuard. It's given me years of reliable service and shifted well over a ton of soybean meal alone.

The wire from the activating lever to the spreader finally broke. While I could call them to get a free replacement, I have wire and whatnot, and I simply re-wove from the contact to the handle. It took about ten minutes.

Everything is accessible. Most of it can be fixed at home. And what you can't finagle, you can call them and they'll send the parts for free.