Possibly looking to upgrade my spreader

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Possibly looking to upgrade my spreader

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 11th, 2019, 1:39 pm

I just finished reading a good thread from last year, and it seems like Lesco from Site One (who might help calibrate...) is the way to go, but I want to double-check that for my situation (20k sq ft, much of it slightly sloped, and even the flat areas are a bit lumpy), is there anything else recommended that might cost less than a $400 to $500 Lesco but will be vastly better than my current one (which I have a very hard time pushing for whatever reason)?

I currently have an Earthway that I got on sale for around $80: https://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2030PPl ... B000XS3EFW about 3 years ago. Before that I was using a scotts pro deluxe: https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-Builder-E ... B001H1EQO2

As I have 20k sq ft, I need something with a good capacity, and as noted above, something easier to push.

The Earthway 2600APlus (https://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2600APl ... _86_bs_t_1) isn't that expensive, and gets better reviews than the one I have, but it says it only holds 40 lbs (I routinely need to hold 50+ lb bags). But might this style of spreader be a lot easier to push than my current one?

EDIT: I just found this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N66D/re ... B07GV9816X similar to the above but holds 50 lbs But perhaps it's not worth spending $200 on something that will be 'ok', might as well spend $400 on something that will be great...?

I do have a tow behind that I use if dumping a lot of lime/milo (where it's not that important to do a perfect job), but it's not calibrated well/easily controlled (I bought it used and the mechanism is a bit of a mess), so I can't use it for most products.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

ENVY23
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Princeton 105, Right, and Sudden Impact

Re: Possibly looking to upgrade my spreader

Post by ENVY23 » April 13th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Earthway 2170. Holds 2 bags of Milo perfectly, and easy to push. Also has a metal pushrod to open the hopper, which won’t bind, stretch, or fray like a cable operated spreader. $249.99 at Northern Tool, however they frequently have coupons for $50 off $250+, so you can find something cheap to bump it over $250 and save. lol

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 13th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Thank you. I'll look into the 2170

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by HoosierDaddy » April 15th, 2019, 9:05 am

I have the 2030 right now as well. I can't imagine trying to use it on 20k as I feel it's not cutting it on my 5k. I have had 2 replacements from Earthway so far on it due to the tabs holding the spreader adjustment breaking off. I have a new in box Titan 50lb spreader I got in the offseason from Amazon ready to go for this year. It appears to be comparable to the Earthway 2150 but was half the price.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » April 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

I advocate metal gearboxes. Most on the shelf at your big box are designed for those that do 4 apps a year etc. If you are running it weekly like many do here it will wear out fast.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 15th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Thanks all. I'm definitely not happy with the ease of pushing the 2030. It's been holding up/working fine, just hard to push. I actually prefer my old tiny scotts (possibly because I put a lot less weight in it, but possibly because of the angle/bar/whatnot makes it easier to push). I'll try to check out some better ones at local stores before spending any more money, and may see if I can get the tow behind fixed up a bit, though still wouldn't want to use it for precise applications as I can't really see how much is coming out as I go...